We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Shut down in August

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Summer Shut down in August

Some of the atricle reads :The month of August, in bigger cities, is a popular time for businesses to take a vacation and you will often find stores and restaurants to be closed for the whole of the month. Madrid and Seville are especially bad for this. Considering the heat in summer in these cities, you're better avoiding them anyway.

Is this true? I was planning my holiday to Spain in August, is it advisable to do so?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Shut down in August

it is true that it is hot, and that lots of ppl in madrid and seville go to the beaches in august. If you dont deal well with heat, I would go to north of spain where you'll find temp more similar to those of london in summer, or to a beach area.

otherwise both madrid and seville are nice cities to be visited in august, as there will be less crowds. Dont worry about restaurants and shops closed, that wouldn't be more than 10 or 20% of the total, and you'll have plenty of choice for both.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,290 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Shut down in August

Seville and the inland areas of Andalucia can be impossibly hot in August, certainly in the high 30's C, 40 or 41 C or more is not unheard of. Last time I was there it was June and already in the 30's and the heat really hits you. There was barely a breath of wind.

That's why they had the siesta. Many outdoor shops close during the afternoon and re-open at 5pm but the big air conditioned malls stay open.

People go out to dinner at 10pm.

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
510 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Shut down in August

Niral

As you have prob. read Seville and surrounding areas can get REALLY REALLY hot during late July early August. As stated temps can and do reguarly get into the high 30`s and low 40`s ..it can really get oppressive and unhealty.. I was back there last year in June and the temps was in the mid to high 30`s. For most northern europeans not nice and as it is far inland no sea breeze to cool it down.. If your good for this kind of climate then most of the attractions will be open ,though check online . Almost all the tourist bars in the city center will be open but some of the local areas outside of there will have shut up shop !! This is a very very beatufil city no matter what time you travel

Enjoy Seville

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Shut down in August

Nirali:

Seville has a population of more than 700,000. This city and Madrid (population 5 million) do not shut down during summer. Yes, many people go on vacation to the beaches, but the majority are still working then. They do not take their vacations at the same time. The guide books should stop saying this nonsense, which is very misleading.

The most important thing if you go to Seville during summer is to get a hotel with air conditioning. After lunch take a siesta in your hotel room. Later you can go out around 6 pm.

Instead of the siesta, if you like to shop, you can go to the El Corte Ingles store, which has air-conditioning.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Shut down in August

Seville is one of my favourite places to visit and I go every year. However, I never go in July or August, it is far too hot for me. Some bars, shops and restaurants will be closed, but all the attractions will be open. There will be less traffic than in other months when people are not away, but that's a good thing.

If you like VERY hot, then go in August, but otherwise choose another time.

6. Re: Summer Shut down in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 26, 2015