We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flamenco

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
flamenco

trying to decide between 2 shows. any suggestions? we would not do a dinner show. or if there is another show to recommend, please do! leaving in now week…can't wait !

El Arenal - tablaoelarenal.com

Los Gallos - tablaolosgallos.com

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flamenco

mwoodrowe:

I have seen Los Gallos and enjoyed the show. Yes, most flamenco places do not have great food. So just see the early show and eat elsewhere.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flamenco

They're probably both good but I've always heard good things about Los Gallos. Check out La Carboneria where there could be late night Flamenco going on in a great setting, if you can find it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flamenco

We liked the show at Alvarez Quintero too - the tickets are reasonably priced, it's no frills (no dinner, no drinks). The shows are one hour, and in low-season, the show is at 8p.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flamenco

thanks all!

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flamenco

I'm probably a little bit of a music snob, because it's my profession, but I'm looking for two things -- one is a flamenco show that's as authentic as possible - not touristy - don't need food. Will get it after. A drink is always nice, but can have that before we go. Looking for a show that's just one set - about 45 minutes. Are any that short? I'm almost 60 and my back isn't great (but we're in fine shape) so the chair situation concerns me. Anyway, it's not the money I'm concerned about but the musicians. Thanks.

The other thing is just listening to beautiful, classic Spanish guitar a la Paco de Lucia. Are there informal things happening in town (early May) that we can find or are there more formal venues that we'd have to go to for this? Thanks for any input!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flamenco

minniemeris:

The flamenco shows are not long, probably an hour. All flamenco shows are touristy because you will not see any natives there. They have seen flamenco all their lives and do not go to shows. Actually the best flamenco is seen at theaters, but you have to buy tickets months in advance for the best dancers, and of course tourists do not know when they are held.

I do not know where you can hear classic guitar in town because the good ones are also held at theaters. Paco de Lucia has died recently. If you do not have it, I would buy his CD "Entre Dos Aguas", one of his best albums.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flamenco

minniemeris and your #5.

As #6's first paragraph.

Here is some info. - http://www.exploreseville.com/flamenco.htm

Maybe one of the bars would suit you.

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flamenco

Oh yes, I know he died and I have many of his CD's. Thanks Benny.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flamenco

If u r going to Grenada, see a flamenco in the caves of gypsies. Loved the music and up close performance.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flamenco

authentic (as in not catered to tourists) flamenco happens in 4 places:

- big theatres: where top flamenco singers and dancers do concerts. They are usually not many, they will be expensive and not easy to get a ticket (compare it to seeing in concert your fav. band)

- peñas: flamenco clubs runned by and for flamenco aficionados, where you have conferences, shows, courses, etc related to flamenco world. Peñas are usually not in city centers but in "regular" neighborhoods, and they are not open every day or all days.

- improntu flamenco things: it can happen in certain bars, at certain times of the night, or of the year, that some people like to take a guitar out and start dancing and singing. This is very rare and most of the times related to gipsy people. so you'll have more possibilities of seeing those in "gypsy neighborhoods" in seville. This is a priviledge even for locals and I havent seen many in my life. Down side is usually those bars are in neighborhood a bit out of the city center and most of the times nothing happens, so you'll be just in the middle of nowhere for nothing.

- some festivities: like the Feria de Abril or el Rocio, where some flamenco palos are used.

Other than that, tablaos or flamenco shows in the city center are run by flamenco professional dancers and cater to tourists, with shows of 1 hour or more (dinner or not included). I would not say it is bad flamenco, because I think the level is quite good, but it is true it priviledges a vision and understanding of flamenco different from the "authentic" one ---> but I think for someone visiting seville for a couple of days it is the only true possibility of getting in touch with flamenco culture.

Edited: 12:18 pm, March 20, 2014