We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

We are planning a day trip to Jerez for Sherry tasting, and some in our group are thinking we could continue on to Cadiz. Is this too much to do in one day if we rent a car or have a car/driver? Would the train be a better idea?

Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

it depends on your travel stamina, but if you are getting to jerez only to visit a sherry bodega, and you do this early in the morning, it is doable.

I would rent a car and go directly to the sherry bodega (book a bodega for a wine tasting http://www.turismojerez.com/fileadmin/images/publicaciones/planovino.pdf) Then drive to Cadiz where you can have lunch and visit the city, then you can drive back to seville at night (it's less than 1h30m drive if you take the AP-4 tollway)

Problem with this is one person (driving) will not be able to do the wine tasting. But I think it's still the best option, as hiring a driver for the day would be very expensive.

It could work by train as well: there is aprox 1 train every 2h or so from Seville to Jerez and it takes aprox 1h10m. If you then get a taxi/bus to go to the bodega, do the wine tasting, taxi/bus back to train station, there are also trains almost every hour to Jerez (taking about 40m). Then you can take a train back to Seville from Cadiz. Last train from Cadiz is 20.15 so not very handy if you want to have dinner in Cadiz.

I would go for the rent-a-car option with the caveat of one person being the alcohol-free sacrified driver.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

A train sounds good to me and you can research the times on http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Then you can sample to your hearts content ! I tend to use the Media Distancia train from San Bernardo station in Seville which is at the end of the Tram line or it is on the subway as well. A short taxi ride from the old city quarter.

Here is a Google map of the two train stations in Seville :

http://goo.gl/maps/Gmlht

During the week you could take a MD train from San Bernardo at 08.48 which can get you into Jerez by about 10am.

There are a number of bodega options available in Jerez and personally I have enjoyed very much the Lustau tour mainly because it is the brand of sherry I tend to buy ! http://www.lustau.es/index_en.html

Others like the touristic tour provided by Gonzales Byass - Tio Pepe brand . See listing on Jerez tourism web site :

www.turismojerez.com/index.php?id=551&L=1

You do not say what time of the year you plan to do this trip but certainly going on from Jerez to Cadiz is easy enough by train. There are local CERCANIAS trains that run between Jerez and Cadiz taking around 45 minutes and cost is not great. See this for times:

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

or you take one of the through trains stopping at Jerez so review options using RENFE. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

For CERCANIAS (Commuter trains) just buy tickets at Jerez station hopefully you can use the machine for this purpose. However don't buy them when you exit Jerez station on arrival because they have a two hour time limit for use. Plenty of taxis at Jerez station and Cadiz station is really so close to the centre you do not need any taxi. You may also be interested in a red bus circular Hop On Hop Off tour which stops near the port. / rail station.

For return train from Cadiz to Seville there is normally one at 20.35 and one an hour earlier normally so leaving entire afternoon in Cadiz. There is also usually a bus at 9pm for Cadiz just in case ! see www.tgcomes.es

Edited: 2:30 pm, March 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,681 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g227869-c90916/Jerez-…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

Thank you all . What great information. I think I am leaning towards the train to Jerez, and a leisurely day with a VIP tasting and Tapas at Gonzales Bypass. I hope I am not outvoted by the family. I have learned to try not to pack too much into one day.

I appreciated the detailed feedback. Can't wait- we arrive in 2 weeks. Maureen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

The Family decided on 2 different destinations. 3 of us are going by Train to Jerez,for the day, with the others taking a 2 day road trip to Jerez, Terif, Cadiz.

Which train station would be best for us? We are a few blocks from Plaza Nueva on Calle Jimios.

Looks like San Bernardo? Would we be better with The T1 bus or a taxi??

I don't think we need reservations for the train. Can we just buy tickets with a return ticket at the train station?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

San Bernardo MD train to Jerez- do we need to arrive especially early for the Train? Or would 30 minutes be enough to arrive and get tickets?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

T1 is the very nice Tram (Tranvia) that shuttles from Plaza Nueva to San Bernardo. It depends where you are moving from ? Getting to San Bernardo early like 30 minutes should be fine. It is a small station (underground) with one ticket office at ground level. San Bernardo is also on the one and only Metro line so maybe that is more convenient for you ? Obviously if you are planning this trip on a tight schedule then having tickets in hand does save time just in case of a queue and you are running late.

I used the Seville to Jerez service last night and bought tickets about 30 minutes before. The train appeared quite busy and I did not see if most of seats were taken but in my coach they were all bagged. Problem I now realise is that these MD stopping trains make "commuter" type stops but every seat has a number. So maybe if a seat is bought from Seville to a suburb Dos Hermanas then that seat cannot be sold until after Dos Hermanas which is only several minutes out of Seville. And standing is actually not really permitted at all except on the true commuter trains called Cercanias. Seems a potential for wasted passenger traffic. I would not mind standing until Dos Hermanas then take a seat.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

Thanks Cadiz lover- we are only 2 blocks from Plaza Nueva so the tram sounds good. .Can we use cash for the tram? If I am near the train station another day I will purchase tickets, otherwise we will just arrive early. I apreciate all your help on this forum- you are a wealth of information! maureen

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

Yes purchase at Santa Justa or San Bernardo, or if needs be at many travel agents in the city oaying a little more. For list of nearest travel agent able to give you tickets see

renfe.com/viajeros/info/puntos_venta_naciona…

and drill down to Sevilla and Postal Code of your location.

You need to get a ticket using the machine at Plaza Nueva. I use a multi journey card that is tapped onto the reader each time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerez Cadiz one day trip??

Maureen, We are headed to the same area in October. Did you do the public transportation and both Jerez and Cadiz? Any suggestions? We have no issue taking any trains, just want to make sure we have a few tastings and see the horses and white homes in Cadiz.