We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary ??

MMH
Michigan
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary ??

Any help or suggestions on this itinerary would be very much appreciated!

Fly into Madrid and then take a connector flight to Granada. Stay in Granada for two nights.

Take a train to Seville. Spend three nights. Day trip to Jerez and Cadiz (is this too much for one day?).

Take a train to Madrid. Spend four nights. Day trip to Toledo or Segovia (preferences if only have time for one city?).

I don't want to feel rushed in any of the three cities and wonder if we should skip Granada and concentrate on Seville/day trips and Madrid/day trips.

We will be going sometime in October but haven't decided if mid or beginning.

Any expert advice or well traveled advise would be gladly received! I am also considering finding someone who can take us for a tour of Jerez (horses and winery) plus a boat trip in Cadiz.

Thanks!

ZOOM
Sightseeing Tours
Entre Leyendas
Historical & Heritage Tours
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,641 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary ??

Granada and the Alhambra is certainly a must see. So much history in Al Andalus. And because of this history a trip to Toledo from Madrid is also a must see. October weather should be still warm and pleasant in Andalusia - one of the best months.

just a thought but it is possible to take a daily TALGO train from Cadiz to Madrid. It leaves at 07.40 & arrives into Madrid's Atoche station at 12.41. In case you wanted to spend some leisurely time in Jerez in the morning and then to proceed down to Cadiz by ferry ! I am thinking about the 'boat trip' in Cadiz as the only one I can think of is the El Puerto de Santa Maria "El Adriano III" ferry over to the old port of Cadiz. http://www.vapordeelpuerto.com/ A nice trip.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary ??

That's a near perfect itinerary. I might spend four nights in Sevilla and three in Madrid unless you love art museums, you need 3 or four days in Madrid to see them all. A fourth night in Sevilla would allow for a day trip to Cordoba to see the mosque. October is the perfect month. Definitely do not skip Granada.

MMH
Michigan
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary ??

Thanks to both of you for your good advice! Do you think that the day trip to Jerez combined with Cadiz is too much for one day? In Madrid, we would like to see the Prado but I'm not sure of other sites. For certain, a day trip to Toledo is a must. Maybe, it would be better then to spend an extra day in Seville and less time in Madrid. I am now wondering if we should go to either Jerez or Cadiz from Granada and spend a night there and then move on to Seville rather than making these two towns a day trip from Seville. Definitely something to think about. As you know, when visiting any new country, every day is precious!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary ??

The Cadiz question is one for Cadiz lover. I would say go there from Granada and spend a night but that's because I love the ocean and flamenco. Besides the Prado there is the Reina Sofia in Madrid. Both of these museums are amazing and also absolutely exhausting. If you go to the Prado reserve your ticket beforehand so you can bypass the extremely long wait in line. Madrid has amazing gourmet restaurants too. Don't miss Toledo. Madrid is one of the world's great cities but I'm biased towards Andalucia.

MMH
Michigan
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary ??

Thank you and I will reserve tickets for the Prado, I am assuming that this can be done on line. I am rethinking Cadiz only because I think it may be too much in such a short time. I am still interested in Jerez because it would be an experience to visit a Sherry Bodega and see the Equestrian show. Unfortuntely, we have only 8 real days for touring and two for our flight in and out of Madrid...a total of 10 days :/

You mentioned Flemenco and this is something that I am hoping we can see in Seville. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again! What would we do without this board?

MMH
Michigan
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary ??

Thank you and I will reserve tickets for the Prado, I am assuming that this can be done on line. I am rethinking Cadiz only because I think it may be too much in such a short time. I am still interested in Jerez because it would be an experience to visit a Sherry Bodega and see the Equestrian show. Unfortuntely, we have only 8 real days for touring and two for our flight in and out of Madrid...a total of 10 days :/

You mentioned Flemenco and this is something that I am hoping we can see in Seville. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again! What would we do without this board?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary ??

out of curiosity if my husband and I are planning on madrid in november...do you still think we need to e tickets ahead of time?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary ??

I just realized i should have been more specific...I was wondering if we need to get tickets to the Prado ahead of time if we are going to be there in November and i am assuming we will go more than once....thanks

9. Re: Itinerary ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 02, 2009