We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

Hasbrouck Heights...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

Hi,

I am planning to go from Sevilla to Gibraltar, back to Sevilla, and onto Lisbon. If anyone knows GOOD websites with up to date bus schedules, I'd really appreciate a recommendation.

"Let's Go! Spain & Portugal" say that the bus from sevilla to La Linea/Gibraltar is 6 hours, and the last bus from La Linea to Sevilla leaves at around 4pm. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time.

I could cut the trip up by stopping in Cadiz.

Does anyone know if there is a bus/train from La Linea to Portugal (preferably Lisbon)?

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
410 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

The LINESUR bus company do the route from Seville to Algeciras. Have a look at www.linesur.com (opens with IE) and you can see the winter schedule from 25th Sept. The direct bus takes 2 1/2 hours stopping at Jerez. I caught the Jerez to Seville sector bus last Monday at 12.30 and it reached Seville bus station called Prado de San Sebastian just after 12.30. (for example)

I think you can book the bus ticket using a CC and www.movelia.es but in my experience, these buses always have spare seats. of course it is better to get the ticket as and when you need to travel as soon as you can.

Algeciras is the port city where you can take a ferry over to Africa. In order to get to Gibraltar from Algeciras bus station (called San Bernardo) you need to take the local La Linea bus run by TG COMES. "Comes" is the bus company operating in Cadiz province (which includes La Linea) and they run a service around the Bay to La Linea - takes about 30 minutes if you get the direct bus. Doesn't cost much. At La Linea bus terminal it is a fairly short walk to the border with Gibraltar where you will need to produce your passport.

Look at www.tgcomes.es for some routes served by COMES bus company. They also do buses from La Linea to Sevilla via the coastal route past Algeciras and Vejer etc. So basically you have two options for getting from La Linea to Seville. LINESUR or COMES.

Consider also stopping over at Jerez. It's a nice city with plenty of interest.

Getting from La Linea to Lisbon is another story. There are no trains easily connecting the two. I suppose you could take the train from Algeciras to Madrid then the one to Lisbon. This would take hours and hours and expensive. Probably best to take transport from Seville to Lisbon. Look at www.alsa.es Costs 40 euros one way.

the bus station serving Portugal in Seville is Plaza de Armas which is on the west side of the old city whereas the San Sebastian one is on the south eastern side.

There is a direct flight from Seville airport to Lisbon run by Air Nostrum - www.iberia.com

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
410 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

I should have said that the LINESUR bus I caught from Jerez arrived at Seville soon after 1.30 so it took about one hour from Jerez.

A website run privately by someone living in the Algarve (southern Portugal) concerns the transport situation affecting Seville to Portugal and is a good resource. I quite look forward to taking the long route using the ferry across the border between Portugal & Spain !!

thomasallen.home.sapo.pt/travel/001.htm

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Spain
Spain
Europe
Hasbrouck Heights...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

I cannot even begin to thank you enough!!!!! This is amazingly helpful, and definitely helps plan my itinerary much, much better.

I know getting to Portugal from southern Spain is usually best via bus from Sevilla, but was hoping there was something a little easier. Guess not!

Iberia.com is well over 300 euros to fly to Portugal. Ryanair has fares to Faro or Porto for about 10 euros (special deal, obviously).

Muchas, muchas gracias por su ayuda!!!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
410 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
montreal
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

do you know how much a round-trip linesur bust ticket costs (from seville to algeciras)? There are no prices posted on their website and the company has not responded to my e-mails. It's been very frustrating.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

I have communicated with LINESUR before and received an answer by email. I think it's best to send the message in Spanish. If you need a translator you could use Google Translate. I think the single fare from Seville to Algeciras is about Euros 15. I paid Euros 10 from Algeciras to Jerez recently so it should be around 15 as Jerez is about 1 1/2 hours ride away and Seville another 1 hour.

Good luck !

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Jerez
Jerez
214 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Sevilla
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

There is a Comes bus that leaves Seville's Prado San Sebastian bus staion at 9.00am and arrives at La Linea at 3.00pm. From the bus staion there it is just a short walk over the border.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

TG Comes website in English http://www.tgcomes.es/index.asp

Fare from Sevilla to Algeciras is 13,90 €.

Depart Sevilla at 09:30, 14:00, 17:00 and 19:30. Returns are at 08:00, 11:30, 14:00 and 16:30.

Fare from Sevilla to La Linea [Gibraltar] is 16,15 €.

Sevilla departures are the same as to Algeciras. Return times are 07:30, 11:00, 13:30 and 16:00.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
410 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

The COMES bus is slower than the direct service bus from LINESUR as mentioned above as it will go south from Jerez and enter Algeciras from the Tarifa side. The LINESUR bus goes quickly down the motorway from Seville to Jerez and then proceeds down the excellent smooth A-381 dual carriageway to Los Barrios before it turns west to Algeciras around the bay. This is also the best route if you are driving by the way.

The average time of the LINESUR direct bus from Seville to Algeciras is 2 1/2 hours which is quicker than any of the COMES buses.

Mentioned in this post
Jerez
Jerez
214 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Seville
Seville
9. Re: Bus from Sevilla to Gibraltar/La Linea??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 11, 2009