We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Best area to stay

I appreciate that there are quite a few other threads along the same lines, but I thought it best to not dilute them with different peoples requirements.

I'm going to be going to Seville at the beginning of September and am trying to work out the best area to stay. I'd prefer to be quite central. Doesn't have to be bang in the centre but somewhere where it is easy to get to the main sights. For example, in Barcelona I stayed in the Gothic Quarter. Quite(ish) would also be good. While I stayed about 500m from Puerto de Sol in Madrid, it was nice and close but noisy at times. If it makes any difference, it will be just me travelling.

I've read a few recommendations for Santa Cruz as it is close to the old part. IS that a good area or should I be looking else where?

3 replies to this topic
san francisco
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Best area to stay

Hi. We were there in March and I’m happy we stayed in El Arenal. I was originally considering barrio Santa Cruz but I’m so glad we didn’t stay there. We enjoyed visiting the area but found it overwhelmingly crowded you could hardly walk on the sidewalk. There were tour groups everywhere. El Arenal is between the cathedral and the river and we found the location excellent and much less crowded. There were many great restaurants too. We stayed in a Airbnb but there were plenty of hotels. It was less than a five minute walk to the Cathedral. Hotel Adriano and Hotel Simon are very affordable typical Spanish hotels and I would have been happy at either one. Have fun!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,937 posts
3,813 reviews
2. Re: Best area to stay

The Barrio El Arenal is a quiet barrio beside the river. I stay there all the time. It is a 10 minute walk to downtown.

A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there. Tickets available at 11 am.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

The Barrio Santa Cruz has very narrow streets and has more noise than the Barrio El Arenal.

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
270 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Best area to stay

I'd go for the Macarena district. It'll give you a flavour of 'authentic' Seville without the crowds (or prices) of Santa Cruz. You'd be close to the Alameda de Hercules and Las Setas/Metropol Parasol whilst only being a short walk from the centre.

Edited: 4:03 am, July 16, 2018
Reply to: Best area to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted