We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

salt lake city
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

Would a 15:00 hr ticket (with the Alhambra closing at 20:00) in mid June on a Sunday night (so no night visit) be reasonable? Am I leaving enough time?

Thank you for any advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

5 hours is plenty in my opinion. I personally got a bit bored after 3/3.5 hrs and left to have lunch in town and then go for a walk around the Albaycin and Sacromonte which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

Typically people take between 3 and 5 hours for a complete visit,; it depends on the individual and how much detail they wish to see and how many photos etc. The 3 hrs is rushing around, 4-5 hrs might suit most people.

(Even though i've been several times, I'm at the 5+ hrs end of the scale).

Your 1500 entry means you can start the ticketed areas at 1400 (eg the Alcazaba) and then join queue for Nasrid at about 1445 ready for its 1500 entry slot.

Edited: 4:45 pm, May 09, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

I had a 15h30 entry time for the Nasrid Palace, I started the visit at 14h00 from the main gates (as I had my ticket I should have entered from Puerta de la Justicia) and was back around Plaza Nueva at 18h00.

I walked back down through Puerta de la Justicia.

I started with Alcazaba and Charles V castle before a few minutes rest then the Nasrid Palace. From there a slow stroll to Generalife and the gardens.

I was on May 5th, bright sunshine, around 28c (90F).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

Sophia:

You can see the Alhambra in 3 hours. This includes seeing the two museums at the Carlos V Palace.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,619 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

I like to take my time within the Alhambra complex and this sometimes includes an hour in the Partal gasrdens and similar or less on the Parador hotel terrace for coffee or whatever. The Generalife gardens can be well worth lingering over at times of the year when flowers are in bloom. I enjoy finding aspects of the place that I missed on previous visits! So I like to set aside 4 hours as a minimum rule of thumb.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

We were there for 4 hours before we had to leave for the bus back to Malaga and didn't have time to see the Alcazar or Charles V palace. There's a lot to see, and we were never g never to get bored, it's all amazing.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

On the ticketing website for the Alhambra there is an option to buy tickets for night vists? Is it worth going in the evening?

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

Yes, we went in the evening and it was lovely. That visit only took 1 to 1.5 hours as you don't get to see everything. Wife almost preferred the evening to the day visit, in terms of the Madrid Palaces. I preferred the day visit though.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

As long as you can. We had a ticket in the noon period where you are allowed to visit other ticketed areas earlier and later -- it was perfect. We were there about 6 hours and still didn't see a few things.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many hours should I allocate for visiting the Alhambra?

Re post no 7 - the evening visit is a pleasant contrast, but daytime is the must-do visit.