We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra visit question

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alhambra visit question

Hi everyone,

This is actually my first post on TA.I'm planning on visiting Granada in January and have a small problem. I've looked extensively online but it still all seems rather confusing.

I'm renting a car out of Malaga on 3rd of January and driving to Granada. I pick up the car at 8 am so I am assuming that by the time I actually take the car from them and drive to Granada it will be at least 10 am. And I'm guessing at least another 30 minutes to actually receive my pre-booked ticket and make my way in to the complex.

What ticket would you advise me to get? If I get a day ticket with entrance to Nasrid at 2 pm, and start roughly at 11:00 am, will I have enough time to visit everything else (the gardens, alcabaza, Generalife, Carlos V Palace, the mosque) before that or can I continue touring the complex after I finish the Nasrid. I understand morning visitors are not asked to leave after 2pm but can't go through any ticketed area but I don't know which areas are ticketed.

Another option is for an evening ticket, if so what parts can I see before 2 pm, or will I not be allowed to enter anything before then? Also, in this case, what time do you advise for the Nasrid entrance?

Last thing, it said somewhere that there are student discounts, can't find that on their ticketmaster page. any ideas?

It will be very helpful if someone with experience there can give me a short order of sites to visit.

Thank you,

Omar

Edited: 5:25 am, November 28, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alhambra visit question

Omar:

I would choose 11 am in your case. If you arrive early you can see the Alhambra Museum in the Carlos V Palace.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,945 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alhambra visit question

The official web for the ALHAMBRA is at

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es

Here you can find answers to many questions. As far as the Youth discount is concerned I believe this applies to those having a European Youth Card and then you pay €9 instead of the normal rate. For visiting it depends on the timing of your proposed visit. The day tickets run for both morning and afternoon sessions. The problem with buying a morning session ticket is that you cannot enter any of the ticketed entry points after 2 pm like the Generlife and the fortress. However I understand that if your entry to the Nasrid Palaces is after 11.30 (in Winter months and 12.30 in summer) then there is a concession to allow entry to other areas AFTER 2 pm. Read the notes about all this on Trip Advisor

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c77529/Granad…

Cairo
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alhambra visit question

Thank you very much for the replies guys. I've managed to work my schedule around a bit and now I have an extra day so I will be able to stay overnight in Granada and get there early morning.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alhambra visit question

I wouldn't bother with hiring a car to visit Granada.

I've just come back this weekend and got a bus from Malaga to Granada and return.

You can travel directly from Malaga Airport or get very frequent buses (hourly) fromn Malaga Bus Station.

Less than 12 euros each way and very comfortable.

The public transport system in Granada is excellent and really cheap. Most of the attractions are within walking distance of the City centre, and the likes of the Alhambra can be easily accessed by smaller buses very cheaply. Driving in Granada looks a little stressful t sa the least and parking appears a nightmare.

Take the bus and save serious money - however dont waste your pennies on the City Bus Tour which is very poor value as you can read from other reviews.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,945 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alhambra visit question

There is about to start in Granada a "tourist train" which can negotiate some awkward places and takes in all the main sights. This may prove very popular as for €8 it allows you to use the bus for getting around for example from the Alhambra entrance to the Albayzin then later from Albayzin down to Plaza de Romanilla near the cathedral area. What's more, if you are over 65 the cost for this hop on hop off is reduced to €4 for unlimited day travel.

prices also for point to point. And if you already have the Granada City Pass the transport is free.

More on here

lovegranada.com/transport/…

Cairo
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alhambra visit question

hi,

Yeah I've read that parking there is terrible but the thing is, we're not going to Granada only, its a quick Andulsia tour with Seville and Cordoba also in the plan. We prefer the flexibility the car gives us instead of having to stick to train and bus schedules. But within the city, we'll probably just park somewhere and use public transport if absolutely necessary.

Thank you very much for your reply though!

Cairo
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alhambra visit question

Hi guys, trip getting close now. I had another quick question.

I'll be arriving at Malaga airport at 11:45 pm, as far as I understand this gives me 15 minute to catch the last bus into the city center (we rent the car from the next day, so no car yet). If I miss this bus will I find taxis at the airport this late or should I book one in advance?

8. Re: Alhambra visit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 27, 2014