We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with hotel choice-safety concern

usa
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
help with hotel choice-safety concern

I have narrowed down my choices to Casa de los Migueletes and Casa Morisca. Both seems like really nice choices based on what I see on the internet. However, I am concerned about safety. Casa de los Migueletes looks like it is located in an out of the way alley while Casa Morisca seems like it is located in a more unsecluded street. Am I right about this? Anyone who is familiar with these places, I would appreciate your comments. Thank you in advance for your responses.

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

Hi.

Read the following recent thread on this very subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187441-i416-k1558…

I personally wouldn't stay in Granada - whilst there are risks everywhere, (including at home) - I felt very unsafe, even by day, during a flying visit last year. There are many other beautiful places nearby, you could stay outside Granada and visit the city on day trips instead.

Hope this helps.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

I didn't find Granada unsafe at all. Of course there were vagrants here and there and the Albaicin was a little too narrow and empty, but it was no worse than elsewhere I've been.

Bahamas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

I am sorry but i do not agree with both replys. Personally I think that Granada is a wonderfull and safe city to stay. I lived there for 8 months, I do not look spanish at atll, and nothing happened to me, even walking back home at night - I used to live very close to Casa de los Migueletes, which by the way is one of the most charming hotels i have ever seen. I had a look at their inner courtyard and to enter I had to pass 2 doors, which only can be opend by the hotel-staff, and they were more than friendly even when I retourned for a second visit with my family. Strolling around Granada, enjoying its special light and atmosphere is an unique experience.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

We didn't feel unsafe anywhere in Granada & we got off the main trail & wandered everywhere - as we always do in the cities. We didn't feel threatened in any way, Granada is a great city - enjoy it!

I can't comment on either of the hotels you have chosen, but I presume you've read the reviews on this site. If you have any worries, choose a different hotel in the centre of town.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

Liked the Melia Granada, very central.

england
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

ive been to granada 12 times in the last 12 months for a couple of days at a time with both my wife or just a trip for the men sampling beer and tapas we have never encountered any problems at all, just ignore the beggars and the gypsy ladies selling lucky heather and im sure you will be back time and time again, trev.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

I agree, I have never felt unsafe in Granada. On the contrary, there is a lot of nightlife and people out in the streets in the evening.

But, it is a city, though a small city, so I would definitely use common sense when walking around after dark, especially in secluded areas.

Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

i am living in granada right now, and i def dont look spanish (blonde hair!) i have lived here for 10 months and i DO NOT agree with people saying it is unsafe. casa de los migueletes is on a street set back from a main street but in my opinion this adds to its charm as it is away from the noise. it is only however 1 min from the main street though so if anything was to happen to you in this shrt space of time you would be very very unlucky! granada is a safe place but it is a city which you have to remember. as long as you act sensibly as you would do in any other city you will be fine. dont follow the first persons advice and not stay in granada as it is an AMAZING city and you will be missing out if you dont.

9. Re: help with hotel choice-safety concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, May 27, 2009