We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 3 return opitions to Madrid

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
361 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
My 3 return opitions to Madrid

I have 3 options and trying to figure out the simplest return after 2 nights in Granada. Would be traveling on a Thursday morning in mid October:

1) keep my car rental (parking lot - despite the additional expense) and drive back to Cordoba after breakfast (to drop off car rental there) and pre-book (if necessary) a fast speed train (around noon-1pm) back to Madrid? I believe there should be hourly options once the schedules are available at that time of the year? I read the drive up to Cordoba is nice. Note: I will be spending a 1-1/2 days in Cordoba at the start of my trip.

2) Alternatively, do the 4.5 hour drive directly to Madrid and drop car at train station in Madrid (downtown hotel).

3) drop car rental at train in Granada on the afternoon we arrive. Taxi to hotel (old city). Then train back to Madrid (direct or does it goes through Cordoba?). I read it was not the high speed train. OR book a flight back to Madrid late morning (and then taxi back into city for my last night in Spain before International flight early Friday a.m.).

I don't want to consider a bus. We don't mind driving...I guess I want a easy option unless the drive/train option is interesting. Do I need to be concerned with train/plane strikes (which is why I am looking the option of keeping the car). After all, I am only giving myself one day / night to ensure I am back in Madrid for my flight on Friday morning.

Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,790 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 3 return opitions to Madrid

The Granada - Madrid train is an ALTARIA train at this time and it goes via Cordoba taking about 4 1/2 hours to reach Atocha station. The train is comfortable and not as fast as the AVE type trains that use a dedicated high speed track. The high speed track is being built between Granada and the Seville / Cordoba / Malaga links but not sure when the service may open. Somehow I doubt if it will be ready by October but miracles can happen.

The bus journey takes about the same time and if you use the plush bus called SUPRA you have an extra level of comfort with onboard toilet and leather seats !

2. Re: My 3 return opitions to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 11, 2014