We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Madrid to Granada

Bangi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Madrid to Granada

I'm planning for our family holiday for next December and thinking of going to Granada from Madrid. How is the driving condition between the 2 cities and how long will it take? Is stop over recommended? For information, I've never driven in Spain before, although I've driven in other foreign countries during our visits before.

Is the winter weather in Granada like that in UK?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

You can drive straight through to Granada, or visit on the way Cordoba and The Mesquita.

Being winter it will be cold for your visit in December.

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner and road information www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International Driving Permit for Spain, read Top Questions to the right "What is the driving guide for foreigners"

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.Spain.info

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com

www.andalucia.com

Alhambra tickets www.granadainfo.com/alhambra

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Granada weather in December should be 15c - 20c daytime and feeling great when the sun shines, dropping to about 10c at night. A good deal warmer than the UK, and lots warmer than Madrid in December, which has temps between freezing to just above freezing, LOL, average 13c days - 3c nights but often less (Snow & ice can be a road hazzard) Madrid is the highest altitude large Capital city in Europe and high mountains means cold air, but the warmth of the welcome makes up for the weather.

Its an easy run from Madrid, A4/E5 'Autovía del Sur' & A44 Autovia all the way. A scenic drive through mountain valleys, vineyards and orange groves on very good and recently upgraded motorways. Regular service stations and picnic areas along the route. Although one of the major routes through Spain the road is quiet and at times you may feel like the only vehicle on the road. Good signposting and a straightforward route.

420km, will take 4 hours 30 mins solid driving, about 6 hours with meal and break stops along the way. No need for an overnight stop, its a relaxing run with no congestion problems until you get to Granada itself which is not a very car friendly place, but thats another story.

Bangi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Thank you very much Nurioopta and VicNorthampton for the replies, very helpful and informative. Got the idea now and can consider driving from Madrid.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

I agree that it's an easy drive, but I think that VicNorthampton is a bit optimistic about the winter climate here.

I wish Granada were that warm, but I promise it's not. The temperature tables in the Wiki entry look about right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada#Climate

It is drier and sunnier than the UK, with longer days, and it is perfectly true that when the sun is out it can feel really warm, at least for a few hours in the middle of the day.

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Here are some driving instructions

crazycalculations.com/directions/index.php…

Edited: 12:31 pm, December 19, 2012
Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Trek

Weather-wise I bow to your local knowlege, I was going on a few one day trips I've made to Granada from where I live in Almeria Province. I have now looked at several weather web sites since reading your post. The consensus is that the next 7 days will be high 17c-19c low 6c-10c, much as I thought but a little colder at night, is this not a typical December then or are you aclimatised to feel those temps as cold? I'm a swallow, fly south each winter to escape UK weather for 6 months so may be I'm looking on the bright side, as they say.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

No, those temps aren't typical. 10-15 during the day, and 0-5 during the night is more typical. Whenever we go down to the coast, and particularly coastal Almeria, during the winter, we feel like we've gone to a different country (a warm one...).

Having said that, it does on the whole feel much less cold than the UK here in winter, because there's less of a damp wind, and less drizzle. Normally, either it rains properly, or it's dry and sunny. But warm jumpers and coats are essential, particularly at night.

Bangi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Thank you. The web site is very helpful. what is the speed limit on the highway?

Bangi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

I like to hear that Granada is sunnier than UK and how I wish the temperature is higher :). Will definitely be well prepared for the cold weather.

Thank you.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Madrid to Granada

Max speed limit on the Autovía is120Kmph. Some areas post restrictions of 100Kmph when its raining. City speed limit is generaly 50Kmph.