We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

We will be staying 2 days in Grenada. We will be visiting the Alhambra. Can anyone suggest eating placesowhich are Halaa- we will be staying close to teh Alhambra.

. How would you navigate your way from the Alhambra palace to the moorish souks/morrocon souks.

Are there any other places worth shopping for gifts.

Regards

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

You probably need to go to Caldererias.

(near to Plaza Nueva )

Then just ask anyone.

They can speak to you in English, Spanish or Arabic.

There are lots of gift shops.

By halaa you probably mean halal

Halal (Arabic: حلال‎ ḥalāl, "lawful") is a term designating any object or an action which is permissible to use or engage in, according to Islamic law. The term is used to designate food seen as permissible according to Islamic law. The opposite of this word is haraam.

There are many halal places in that area.

Some of the meat is very good.

Halal meat is slaughtered according to strict laws.

It is very similar to kosher meat favoured by the Jewish religion.

Granada has a long history of Jews, Moslems and Christians living together in the same city.

Some of it is good but if you look at history it is filled with atrocities and if you don't want to depress yourself with examples of human stupidity don't study the history of the last 500 years.

Thank god (although he/it/she does not exist) that in modern times we live in harmony.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Smiley:

There are many Moroccan stores beside the Cathedral.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c95070/Granad…

Edited: 12:50 am, February 04, 2012
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Dear Steven,

Than you for your help, yes i meant Halaal.

Regards

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Dear Benny

Thanks for the thread it helps alot. The hotel we would like to stay at is Los Tilos. The reviews i read on T/A led me to choose this one. Would you be able to let me know if its in walking distance to Alhambra .

Regards

Asmat

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Steven,

I forgot to as how far is this place form ALhambra/ hotel los tilos (we would like to book here). Is it within walking distance.

Regards

Asmat

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Asmat:

None of the hotels are walking distance to the Alhambra, which is on top of a very high hill. You have to take the bus close to Plaza Nueva or take a taxi.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Benny, I agree that it's a reasonably steep walk up to the Alhambra, but hundreds of thousands of tourists walk up every year, so I wouldn't call it unwalkable! If it's very hot, you certainly notice that it's a steep hill, but you're walking through the Alhambra forest, so there's plenty of shade. It's probably about 10 minutes from Plaza Nueva up to the Alcazaba/Nasrid Palace entrances, or 15-20 minutes to the ticket office/Generalife entrance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,790 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

I think that avoiding the Main Entrance to the Alhambra by walking up from Plaza Nueva and going through the impressive ancient original main gateway called Puerta de la Justicia Gate of Justice is very nice but it is steep and my old legs managed about 20 minutes from leaving Plaza Nueva to inside the complex. A lot quicker coming down ! To enter via Justice Gate you should have your Alhambra tickets in hand as you by pass the main entrance so you would need to get these at the Alhambra other shop on the road leading into Plaza Nueva from Gran Via or at a La Caixa bank ATM. The main entrance at the top of the hill serves mainly the people arriving by coaches and cars and of course the city micro buses.

Because of the concentration of visitors at the Main entrance, the city are proposing to build an elevator type thing so that it can become easier to reach the Plaza Nueva and would encourage visitors to spend more time 'down town'.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Benny,

There are a few hotels up on the top of the mountain too, like the Parador and the Hotel America.

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to walk from these hotels to the Nasrid Palace?

Many thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to navigate your way to the Morrocon souks in Grenada

Smiley,

Perhaps you'll enjoy this collection of pictures of Alcaiceria.

exploregranada.com/photo-report/alcaiceria.h…