We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Grays, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Hi

Have picked a holiday in Torremolinos as we have our two daughters, aged 19 and 17 coming with us, and wondering if the younger will be allowed into any suitable nightclubs/ discos?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Tapyeno:

The legal drinking age in Spain is 18 years. I do not know if clubs will let your younger daughter in. They do check ids because they can get into trouble with the authorities if they admit below age persons.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Whereabouts in Torremolinos are you staying? There are a lot of disco-bars along at Benalmádena Marina which they should enjoy as long as they use a bit of common sense (this can be a problem, I know!).

ID is rarely checked.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

No one below the age of 18 can enter nightclubs IN THEORY. But this is a big "in theory" as NSG points out, and it will very much depend on how grown up your daughter looks like.

I can tell you that many below 18 years old local youngsters go to Los Álamos on summer nights.

Edited: 5:08 am, July 11, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

It might also be worth pointing out that 'night club' has a different meaning here (a 'club' featuring ladies of the night).

The livelier disco-bars are open until 4am, by which time you should expect them back LOL.

Tell them to leave their mobiles at home too.

grimsby lincs
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

I would have thought that to have a mobile phone was imperative but to keep it out of sight and the girls to stay together at all times and the same as at home watch no one spikes their drinks

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

As has been said, there is not such emphasis on age, especially where girls are concerned into bars / disco's and clubs etc.

Torremolinos is not the best place but the next resort along will provide 2 main areas for nightlife, the Marina (as already mentioned) and the 24 hour square.

The latter is more European and British as opposed to the Marina which is more Spanish and can be more expensive.

On that basis i would recommend the Marina for a Thursday or Sunday night but the Square for other nights of the week.

Most places are free entry.

I would suggest one of the girls take a mobile with them but keeps it in their shorts/jeans etc and they hold on to their drinks wherever they go - not a specific hassle in Benal etc but in any tourist destination it is never wise to leave drinks unattended.

Hope that helps

CB

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Hi

Just a word of caution though.......the word ´´nightclub´´ in Spain(as referred to above in an earlier post) is used to mean a licenced brothel (knocking shop/bordello/house of ill-repute etc ,).....NOT a disco (spanish=discoteca) so beware of this when asking directions or being asked to visit one.

Edited: 12:46 pm, July 11, 2013
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

The only issue for a parent of girls this age is that night life does not start until midnight. In the mid 90's when my daughter 17, the main night life 2am to 7am, not ideal for parents, starts a little earlier now, but not much.

Fortunately when my daughter 17, no mobile phones so had to wait for her return once she left the apartment, think I may be tempted to keep in contact by mobile today, there again I am sure all the youngsters will say poor reception in all the bars.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

It's not only poor reception Ian, the level of thefts of mobiles is horrendous! I never take mine now if going for a late night, too much hassle worrying about whether I still have it.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 year old daughter wanting to go to nightclubs

Spanish people are often still having their dinner at midnight in the summer in Torremolinos - they were eating in the restaurant outside my apartment at midnight last night. I go out in Malaga and come back to Torremolinos by bus about 1.30 in the morning. The Spanish kids are just starting to get the bus in Malaga to go out then in Torremolinos or Benalmadena. They get a train back to Malaga about 6 in the morning. If the young ladies concerned go out before midnight, they will be on their own in the disco. Parents are being unrealistic if they expect them back before breakfast. 24 hour Square is a good place to get drugs! Is that what you want? If your daughters could get to know a few other young people staying in the same hotel or nearby, they would be safer going out in a group, as the Spanish kids do.

Edited: 4:57 am, July 14, 2013