We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carihuela update report.

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,377 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Carihuela update report.

Just returned from a three week visit after a six months absence.

The first striking thing I noticed is the fast amount of money that has been spent on new establishments or enhancing exsisting places.

One place that opened in autumn McJamon, with its plastic red tables and chairs I would have given weeks before it closed. How wrong, with a glass of beer at 67 cents, and basically every else at 1 euro, (coffee and baileys, Brandy, Wine, Toasted sandwiches, etc) and giant food platters at 6 euro's, the place is heaving morning , noon and night.

Just down from here Cosy Nook has closed and become bar 69, yet another Dutch bar, leaves Cheryl and Nigel as the last Brit type operation on this drag.

Aguacan bar has closed and surprise, surprise become Sunset another Dutch bar.

Antonio jaime now has wind blinds all the way round, a disappointment to the writer as I used to sit at the bar watching the sun go down, no longer possible as the perspex in the way. Accept he has to please his Spanish customers, however, looking at customers numbers not just me who found it too hot and stuffy.

Going back one row and passing the fountain down to casa juans, the mobility shop has closed and now a fruit and veg shop, (the mobility shop on the top road opposite las palomas has also closed, the banning of skate boards and bikes on the paseo seems to be having an effect.)

Next door the old Christina bar has become a second outlet for la Copa, still huge tapas portions. Next door del carmen has been split in two by the same owner, becoming a pizza place and a tapas bar. great cold and hot tapas but you pay for the tapas and the drink.

Just passed casa juans a jamon shop has opened doing vacuumed packed ham for taking away. Iberian cured acorn ham was 10 euros for 100gr, ham of Huelva 5 euro's for 100grams, not sure of prices, but the free tasting went down well with me.

Unfortunately Casa Pascual 1 has closed for good all the business now done from pascual II, loved Pascual I.

Next door to Hotel Pedro a gorgeous place called Pure patisseries, with glass effect table and chairs looks great. Went in and met the Belguim pastery chef, has 22 years experience and the products show it. Advised they were making the place a bistro and patisserie with every thing freshly made on the premises. Not sure has the look of a bistro.

Further on the front just before El Horno on the corner the guys who run the pizza bar by the fountain have opened another more up market place. They showed me the rent they are paying, needed a stiff brandy to recover. They had their opening night the same night as the reopening of El Horno, how can you be in two places at once. Fortunately we sent all the ladies to one and the gents the other and then swapped over, or so I am told, dont remember.

Further back, Tito Juan has turned back time and reopened the front bar providing seating for 120, still no space some nights. His daughter has closed her bar and with her uncle have now joined juan.

Up the walkway at the top Obriens the irish bar still going, but we have lost bar N340, they have moved to Torremolinos. About another 3 or 4 bars now opened to deal with the trade from Hotel natursun and Royal al-Andalus. Natursun had a huge banner offering double rooms for 35 euro's over the easter period a fantastic offer.

Good new is that talks on the sale of Las palomas were ongoing all last week, a deal could be struck, however, i cant see it, the former staff wont agree.

Certainly the village feel of the carihuela continues, we have lost some tat shops and seen food and drink in its place. A fortune has been spent in the last 6 months showing the confidence in the area.

The place was packed so different from benalmadena and arroyo, really surprised how quiet Fountain sqaure were even on Easter Saturday.

Cant wait to be back in 3 weeks, just hope I can get a table at some of my favourite watering holes, thankfully 100's of different choices.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carihuela update report.

Ian, that's a great trip report, makes me long to be there! Casa Pascual 1 - is that the one at the bottom end of La Carihuela near the square where the skateboarders and skaters used to meet on a Wednesday? I had a couple of really nice meals there a few years ago. Was typically small, family restaurant with great food and reasonable prices. Sorry to see it go.

Will make a point of visiting in September when we're on the coast and see what the changes are. Sounds like money is being spent on the village and I hope that it doesn't spoil the atmosphere. Really envy you going back in 3 weeks!

CJB

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carihuela update report.

OMG Ian ,i cant wait till june 10th now ....ive been reading this out to blokey ,we love it there ..thanks for the run down on the place ,i really hope Las Palomas gets sorted i didnt mind it there ...7 weeks monday will come round quick

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carihuela update report.

I too thought McJamon wouldn't last long...until I realised their food is excellent! No wonder it's packed all the time, a clever idea really.

Yep, the closure of Pascual I is a sad loss - it had so much atmosphere!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carihuela update report.

Great report Ian, glad to hear it's still thriving there and just getting better and better - no wonder people just can't stay away and want to return time after time :)

The best thing i think is the choice of eateries and that fact it is so European there but with it being 95% Spanish and Dutch - makes for a very Al Fresco atmosphere with hardly a bacon and egg to be seen :)

I am sure it will be another outstanding year for La Carihuela which seems to have been mainly unaffected by the recession - keen business minds and the support from the Ayuntamiento has ensured that i think, oh, and plus the loyalty of all the returning customers :)

CB

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carihuela update report.

Where is this McJamon ,sounds very nice ...im not a drinker ,im the eater

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carihuela update report.

Just found them ,that m looks a bit maccas like ,will they get away with it

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carihuela update report.

I'm sure they're prepared for the wrath of the Evil Empire at some point...but fun whilst it lasts!

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carihuela update report.

CJ: The pascual by the fountain is Pascual II, Pascual I was in the centre of the village, very cosy and intimate.

The atmosphere on the Carihuela is buzzing, very few empty units and this winter most owners seem to have invested in new facia's etc. With at two more operations adding to their outlets in the area, this on top of all the others who have multiple units, shows the faith in the area.

McJamon, as you say NSG a terrific offer, people are amazed they can go in as a couple eat and drink and get change for 10 euro's. dinana: they have been opened since October last year, amazed as NSG says the Evil Empire has not struck yet. However, its offer is a million miles away from the Evil Empire offer and in addition no outlets now in the area.

dinana: Hotel natursun have spent a fortune on their hotel, over Easter they were offering a double room for 35 euro's, las palomas have some huge competition, I would be surprised if we did not have some news by the end of this month.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carihuela update report.

Thanks Ian, I wasn't sure. Didn't go into Pascual 1 when we were there last which is awhile ago I admit, Pascual II did amazing burgers and salads and it felt like they'd opened a shop in the middle of a butchers as we could see meat hanging in a chilled cabinet. Will definitely make a trip to Carihuela when we visit Calahonda in September. Mind you, want to see and do so many things that it ffeels like we will need another holiday to get over it all.

Cork
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carihuela update report.

Great to hear about la Carihuela, where exactly is McJamon please as we are in torremolinos at the end of April and dont know the area very well.