We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
778 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Hello, I am going over to Torremolinos again next week, This is a odd question , On our last visit I observed two english ladies purchasing blood pressure tablets in a pharmacy, I understood the conversation as I use the same tablets, What I would like to know is if I have a prescription from a doctor here in Ireland can I use it in Spain as there seems to be a big difference in price, Thanks in advance for any help, Regards Cumnor.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,674 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Cumnor:

I think it can be used. However the pharmacist may give one the Spanish equivalent of the prescription. His computer will tell him what is the equivalent of the medicine.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

I am no expert on this field, and I strongly encourage you to get proper advice about this from your doctor or pharmacist, but last month the European Directive 2012/52/EU was passed, and this supposedly establishes procedures for mutual prescription recognition among members of the EU.

I suspect this already happened before the directive, but now the situation seems to be regulated.

More information on the following link:

…europa.eu/health/cross_border_care/docs/imp…

Edited: 3:08 am, February 03, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

An interesting by-product of that Directive is that doctors are supposed to issue prescriptions using the generic name only rather than any brand name (can't see Big Pharma being pleased about that!), so Cumnor make sure your doctor does this.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

I don't know much about this either, but regardless of whether you are legally entitled to use an Irish prescription, I would be doubtful about putting the theory into practise.

Chemists in Spain have been involved in widespread strike action, as many have not been receiving the money they are due from the authorities for prescriptions issued. It has become so desperate in some places, that chemists are forced to charge locals for any medicines they should rightly receive on precription. The chemists, are in effect, in a postion where are financing prescriptions from their own pocket - obviously they can not continue doing that - and understandably, they may not feel inclined to chance honouring a prescription not even issued in their country.

Similarly, there has been an increasing number of cases, where people genuinely entitled to treatment under the EHIC card, have been refused unless they pay upfront. Obviously, in an emergency situation, many have no option but to cough up to get the treatment they need.

scotland
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

I'm sure if as above you have a written prescription from your Dr that should cover you .

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

I think some of the replies imply that if you get a prescription on certain terms in Ireland you will get it on the same terms in Spain. I have been 'entitled' to free prescriptions in the UK but it wasn't until I reached 65 that I got any reduction at all here. I still have to pay a proportion the cost of medicines.

During all this period I had private health care. The prescriptions written by the doctors were dispensed but at full price. Only prescriptions written by the health authority doctor were reduced in price.

health Care in Spain is dealt with by the autonomous regions so coverage in Valencia is different to Andalucia.I understand that pharmacies here are not happy about prompt payment but they are getting paid eventually. Valencia is not a place to prosper as a pharmacist!

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Hi!

Unless you are going abroad for several months, consider getting your prescription filled before leaving.

My prescription was due during our holiday in 2011, so the doctor gave me a double prescription before I went on holiday.

Colin

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
778 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Thanks for your replies all, I have no problem paying for for the tablets, But I am fairly sure they are a lot cheaper in Spain, I have been given a generic version of them at home already, Does,nt seem to bother the pharmacists,s here and they still charge outrages prices.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
778 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

Thanks Col.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a prescription made in Ireland be used in Spain

You can get most prescription drugs over the counter anyway. Just take either the box or your prescription. My partner got his diabetes medication

last year over the counter, The only difference was the dose was slightly different so he had to take 3 instead of 2. same drug , just different strength.

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 03, 2013