We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Colina

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Topic
La Colina

Hi, In the early eightys we went a couple of times to the La Colina which was situated outside of Torremolinos. It was a cracking hotel and we used to get on the train just outside the complex to go up and down the coast. The train was not the modern type you see nowadays as they hadnt upgraded the system then.

On a visit back to Torremolinos in the early 2000s we saw it had become what looked like a residential apt block and looked quite run down too to be honest. I assume its still there but my question is has it had a make over since ? and can you still get on the train just down the track from there ?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Colina

Oh and thanks :)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Colina

Not sure which block you're referring to, but La Colina station is still there, yes (it's been upgraded relatively recently).

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,818 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Colina

I think the question refers to the block.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: La Colina

Yes thats right, behind the station are or were some residential flats and behind them was the la Colina which was used solely for holidaymakers but as i say on a subsequent trip we noticed how it had changed (for the worse by the looks of things)

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Colina

Certainly when we walk passed recently the outside could do with some TLC, no idea about the inside.

Huge other developments in this area if you want to be based here. Trains today nothing like the trains of the 80's, unfortunately they have not extended the line in 35 years, only the volume of trains

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: La Colina

Cheers Ian, it was a really nice place when we went there, when we went to have a look again we couldnt believe how it had gone.

We used to walk to and from there at all hours over the fields at the back down to the sea front and then along the front to Torre, would imagine its all built up now as you've said.

The old trains you used to get on in the early eighties were really old but nice in a funny sort of way. Happy Memories

Edited: 3:41 pm, June 14, 2012
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Colina

Sorry i know im going off topic now but does anyone remember the bar in the square off San Miguel St that continuously played Michael Jacksons Thriller on the screens, they played it for years lol. Cant remember the name but they sold massive glasses of beer, we just called it the thriller bar.

Edited: 3:45 pm, June 14, 2012
Macclesfield...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: La Colina

I stayed at the La Colina resort about 20 times through the eighties and nineties with my Gran and have wonderful memories of the place.

Watching the entertainment at night from the bingo to hypnotists, from flamenco to magicians. The three pools outside with the diving board that used to look so high up as a child. The multiple bars like the one near the tennis court that did the most fantastic tapas to the one at the top right right of the square section that had cool arcade games and the one at the bottom of the stairs with the postcards all over the walls and pomegranates growing outside. The shops that sold Bang Bang bubble gum, the Spar around the corner where you'd stock up on essentials, the lifts where they were split on which floors they would go up to, the restaurant at the front that made great omelettes and had kiwi icecream, finding crickets in the grass and avoiding the sprinklers, sheltering under the bar roof near the pool when the heavens opened and playing pool on the many tables, walking down the dusty paths to the beach and going along the front to the mini aqua park, heading into Torremolinas and my Gran buying the huge King Prawns then peeling them for me whilst I squirted them in lemon juice and scoffed them down.

I loved my time there and it's a shame to see pictures of it nowadays but the memories remain.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Colina

Yes Macclads myself and my then fiance (wife now lol) used to walk over the wasteland down to the front and then along the sand to the steps which took you up into the town, also dodging the timeshare touts who used to pull up alonside you and after reallising we were "Swedish" and couldnt speak a word of English lol, would drive off, no hassle just a good laugh and in general, good memories Oh, good luck to Macclesfield Town next year, so long as they are one place behind Wxm lol.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
570 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: La Colina

I remember staying here when I was very young with my mum and dad, I remember the swimming pool with the huge diving board, and also walking down over the wasteland to town, and then walking back at night with my dad drunk!! It was a great holiday, I also remember the little train station and walking through some flats or house (I Think) to get to it.

I drove past there a few years ago while on holiday in Spain and have to agree it did look run down. Brought back good memories though!!