We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torremolinos - what is it like now

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Torremolinos - what is it like now

I am thinking of booking the Griego Mar hotel for late May 2012. It is just that I am getting conflicting opinions on the hotel and resort. Some say that the resort is scuffy and not safe whilst others have very positive views on both the hotel and resort. It is 26 years since I was last there so I would be interested in getting more opinion.

Thanks for any help given.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

Agree Torremolinos has changed for the better over the last 26 years, by the late 80's, years of pandering to the english tastes and seeing the place trashed, was replaced by building on the local heritage and attracting local custom.

I can relate to Leeds being a war zone on a week end from lager louts, peace reins in Torremolinos. We were walking through Torremolinos many nights very late at night last week without a care.

Many good hotels along the front, which I would look at rather then one situated in the centre

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
torremolinos
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

We stayed at the Griego Mar hotel in 2007 ~ 08 while property hunting and found that it offered good value, The location is not for those wanting sea views but only a 10 min. Walk to the lift down to the paseo and in the evening you only have to walk 5 min. And you are in the town. Also a good location for the markets. Have a look at the area on Google Earth street view.

As for Torremolinos the authorities and the police should be congratulated.

Any of my family feel safe even in late evening

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

I am thinking of going to Torremolinos late next March 2013 but I have seen reports of it being scruffy and run down is this true?

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

hi Essex tourist,

I would suggest reading the previous posts contained in this thread as they will answer your question.

Any particular reason why you chose torremolinos? Maybe we can help you find the right destination along the coast depending on your holiday requirements.

Feel free to create a new topic with any questions you may have.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

Some parts up in the town centre are looking a bit scruffy these days, like most places in Spain the economic crisis has meant cutbacks on maintenance etc., but everywhere down along the seafront is fine, go to La Carihuela or Playamar and nowhere is scruffy and run down.

It's all rather relative anyway, compared to twenty years ago it's a completely different place! That was when it was scruffy and run down, after the old-style Brit package touir days. These days the vast majority of our visitors are Spanish, and so it has changed accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
La Carihuela
La Carihuela
2,931 Reviews
Torremolinos, Spain
6. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:13 am, October 14, 2012
Edited: 6:13 am, October 14, 2012
7. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:13 am, October 14, 2012
Edited: 6:13 am, October 14, 2012
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

Torremolinos is a great place to stay - very Spanish with the majority of visitors being from Spain. We generally do not like ´touristy´ places but regular have short breaks at Torremolinos (returning again 5 November). The town is absolutely nothing like Benidorm or Magalluf which for some reason it always seems tied with in the UK press. The local authorities have worked wonders on the town.

Some great Tapas bars and Chiringuitos.

Yes some areas are a bit scruffy - we don´t particularly like the area around the Griego Mar but that is just our personal opinion - but the main shopping area is very good and the seafront excellent.

By the way, Borntotravel - your posts may well be removed as TA do not allow property purchase enquiries.

Edited: 5:53 am, October 14, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
215 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

Thanks for letting me know, I think I've managed to remove them.

bolton uk
Level Contributor
412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torremolinos - what is it like now

we go 3 time a year, in fact we fly out this Tuesday, i must say i feel safer there than in my own town,we have used the named hotel,and its ok, a little out the way for our liking, but would stay there again, if got a good deal

Edited: 6:21 am, October 14, 2012