We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Holiday Tours

Central NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Holiday Tours

In early November (2011) I went with 6 friends on a Sun Holiday Tours trip to the Costa del Sol (Best of Andalucia), and we were all very pleased with the company. Their price (ca. $1950) for a 10 night stay at an excellent hotel with all breakfasts and dinners included, and a very low single supplement, was an excellent bargain. So good, in fact, that we were nervous and looked them up on the web before booking.

Not to worry! Everything they promised was true, and we had an enjoyable time. Because it was off-season, we got upgraded from their usual hotel (Sol Aloha Puerto, which gets mixed reviews) to the Melia Costa del Sol. This was a new, clean hotel right on the beach, with every room (?) having an ocean view. The food at the hotel (buffets both for breakfast and dinner) had many choices and was always very good.

Our only problem was not with Sun, but with the tour company they use for the included tours. Everyone found VDT (Visit & Daily Tours) to be terrible: long and many pickup stops (often 16-18!); overly large tour groups (50 and more in a group!); at least one guide that didn't care if the group stayed together or got separated; tours in multiple languages; and more. Our fear is that VDT is Sun's only or -- Heaven forbid, best -- choice.

One other point: Sun is not open on weekends, which can be a problem if you need to reach them in an emergency. Nevertheless, we were very, very happy with the value we received and hope Sun does tours to other areas we'd like to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Melia Costa del Sol
Melia Costa del Sol
4,377 Reviews
Torremolinos, Spain
Central NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Holiday Tours

An update on Sun Holidays. Since our group returned and I posted this review, we have been trying to get a refund for one of the optional tours we booked through Sun Holidays, hoping they would assist us with the supplier. In fact, when they don't simply ignore my requests, they provide answers that are insulting, infuriating, and useless.

The bottom line appears to be that if everything goes well, they do provide a bargain. Unfortunately if anything becomes a problem, Sun Holidays will in no way help you, so I can't see ever wanting to use them again.

One other minor point: most tour companies provide an incentive for you to bring other travellers with you. Sun, too, promised they'd "do something" for us, but never did nor ever responded to my questioning that again. To repeat: I feel Sun Holidays is definitely not trustworthy!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Holiday Tours

I have travel with sun holidays tours several times , mostly in Spain and Morrocco, also to SouthAmerica.

Their staff has always been the best, never had a complain with the hotels and travel accomodations had always been acceptable. on time and troble free.

I would travel with them anytime and would recommend it to anyone looking for good, ecomonical travel

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Holiday Tours

Are they now out of business?

4. Re: Sun Holiday Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 17, 2013