We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol Don Marco++

Manchester,
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sol Don Marco++

I have booked this hotel for a two night stay with the wife at the start of July as its our anniversary...nice weekend away from the kids!!.just a number of questions....

1/ How far is La Carihuela from here? walking distance?

2/What's the best way to get there from the airport?

3/Is the Hotel Good and are there bars etc nearby? judging by the reviews it certainly seems one of the best in the resort?????

Many Thanks

Glen.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol Don Marco++

Glen:

That hotel is on the Bajondillo Beach, which is one kilometer away from the La Carihuela Beach. Definitely walking distance. It will take you only 15 minutes.

Best way from the airport is to take a taxi. It will cost about 15 euros or less.

There are restaurants and bars galore in that area. I prefer it to La Carihuela.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol Don Marco++

The hotel is very good.

The reception is a peaceful oasis in Thai style,

You have a choice of 2 restaurants - Casares which is accessed via reception or Cordoba in the sister hotel Don Pablo. We prefer the Casares as it has a more intimate atmosphere - try the delicious Omelettes cooked to order at Breakfast.

You can use the pools of all 3 Don Hotels.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol Don Marco++

The Don Marco forms sort of an enclave with its 2 other sister hotels laid out in a very nice well maintained garden-park with several pools. The location opposite to the beach is absolutely great and so is the walk to La Carihuela. There is a little local car movement on the road that separates the hotel from the beach. A sea-view room would be a bonus. Don't bother with public transport from the airport. I stayed there several times in the past and its perfect for me.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol Don Marco++

Yes - the sea view rooms are nice BUT they are smaller than other rooms and have narrower balconies.

Can highly recommend room 4023 that has a pool and sea view, separate bath and shower cubicle and is more spacious; if you send an email to Duty Manager Jaime Flood with any special requests he is very obliging.

All rooms have fridges that you can use to store your own drinks.

There is a small gym on the lower floor of the hotel and an excellent Spa should your wife fancy some pampering.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol Don Marco++

I am looking to book this hotel in August. Is there a town close by with shopping? Are there any trains offered for a day trip to Barcelona? We would rather stay in a sea side town and then travel into Barcelona for a day or two. Thanks for any information you may have.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol Don Marco++

Sleepy510 - Torremolinos is 994 kilometers/621 miles from Barcelona so not a day trip destination! The only possible way of doing this would be by air - see www.vueling.com or www.clickair.com

Torremolinos has a good shopping centre just 10 minutes walk from the Don Marco and is the ideal base for visiting all the fascinating towns and cities of the Costa del Sol ands Andalucia.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol Don Marco++

Sleepy 510. For shopping my other half recommends a 20 min train journey to malaga, from my experience shopping in torremolinos is geared to the tourist, in malaga you have the full shopping experience geared to the local, in addition malaga offers a impressive range of restaurants that far exceed the offer in the centre of torremolinos. Torremolinos still has the carihuela for great spanish food, have never failed to have good food in this area over the years, far to many to admit too, better to say the queen was not on the throne in the u.k. and hope your history of the u.k. not too good.

8. Re: Sol Don Marco++

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 02, 2009