We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

What is the best way to get from Torremolinow to the Rock of Gibraltar? Should I use a Local guide, local bus, or find a group package? Where do I go and what can I expect it to cost?

marymay2@sbcglobal.net

Eastbourne, UK
Level Contributor
666 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Hi there - I think that BearsdenTony already answered this on your original post...

By far the easiest way is to book a trip through one of the travel agencies in the town. Once in Gibraltar, use a rock tour taxi to get the most out of your visit.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Easiest and quickest way to go is by renting a car and driving to the frontier, parking in Spain and walking across the runway and then buying a tour of the rock. Spend some time shopping in the afternoon and drive back home. If you buy a tour, you waste a lot of time while they pick people up from hotel to hotel. But you do get the rock tour included in the price. They allow a short amount of time to shop, then take you back to your hotel dropping people off on the way.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

I would definitely recommend a package tour. True, you waste some time by picking up passengers at other hotels, but you get to see the major sights - St. Michael's Caves & the Barbary apes, plus views and a commentary about the Rock. The shopping is no big deal. There are several travel agencies in Torremolinos and their prices vary. We have found Exotic Tours to be the most reasonable. They have one office on Calle del Peligro, around the cornar from the Melia Costa del Sol Hotel & another in the town center.

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

There is a local bus from Torremolinos to La Linea, from where a taxi can take you to the frontier. You will walk over the fromtier into Gibraltar (don't forget your passport - British territory!). You will also need Sterling - remember that you are in Britain!

Buses leave Torremolinos at 07.20, 10.35, 14.20, 17.35. Buses return from La Linea at 10.30, 14.15 and 17.30. Journey time is 2 hours 40 min and the cost is 8.93 Euros per person one way.

(see http://www.andalucia.com/travel/bus/home.htm for bus details in the Torremolinos area).

Local travel agents coach tours are easier, but you will be leaving Torremolinos early, probably before breakfast is served in your hotel. If you ask nicely, the hotel may allow you to have a continental breakfast before the restaurant opens - ours did.

Book your coach tour in plenty of time, as they don't run each day, and watch out if you are in Spain during a public holiday - no coaches!

PS English public holidays (Good Friday, Easter Monday) are good days to visit Gib - it's very quiet and easier to get around.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

We were there 4 years ago & found that everyone accepted Euros, so there shouldn't be any need to change to British pounds. I doubt that anything has changed since there are so many day-trippers from Spain. Also, you should inquire about departure times for bus tours. They probably don't leave all that early.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Yes, Euros are accepted, but not at a 'fair' exchange rate. However, just to clear up what sounds like 'wrong' information. It is true they use the 'Pound and Penny" as they do in the UK...BUT..it is the Gibraltar pound and penny. For a bit of fun, I usually take 10 pound out of the ATM when I get to Gib, and spend that.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

As Trptid says the local currency is the Gibraltar pound.

Only withdraw what you expect to spend as it is not valid currency in the UK.

Euro conversion rate is generally poor.

Watch prices in general - it is tempting to think that everything is cheaper in Gib and this is no longer the case. The only good buys are cigarettes and alcohol, and your customs allowance for these is low; cameras etc. are now generally dearer than in the UK.

Don´t try to take more than your allowance through customs as all packages are checked and any excess WILL be confiscated or even fined.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Watch prices are worth checking out on the Rock, too, if you know what you are looking for. At Glasgow Airport, the Seiko Kinetic I fancied was £365 "special price". In Main Street, Gib, I got that down to £185.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Does anyone know how much it will cost per person to travel by coach?

Leicester.
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Torremolinos to Rock of Gibraltar

Whilst I agree that the best method of travel is by the bus service to La Linea a word of caution is appropriate. The bus company has a tendancy to rearrange journeys without notice. My wife and I did this trip in 2007 ( November ) and on the return were made to change buses half way back, and then on arrival at Fuengerola were informed that it was the end of the line. We than had to make our own way back by train to Torremolinos.

davidspray@tiscali.co.uk