We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella Old Town Expensive?

Midlands
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Marbella Old Town Expensive?

Hi, I'm trying to convince my girlfriend not to go for an all inclusive option for our summer holiday in September. I'm looking for an old town, with plenty of bars and restaurants and a hotel with a swimming pool and possibly a beach in walking distance. Am I asking too much? Oh throw in that we have a budget of approx £1,000 each for 5-7 nights! Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,619 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

Banus:

The hotel cost will be the most expensive thing in Old Town Marbella. An inexpensive hotel by the beach is the Skol Apartments. Good hotels include the Hotel Fuerte and the Melia Don Pepe, both on the beach. The good place to eat is the paseo maritimo, with more than 50 restaurants and bars.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

Marbella needn't be expensive at all (it can be if you're silly of course). There are lots of great restaurants and little bars hidden down narrow alleyways in the Old Town.

On that budget you should be fine, and will enjoy it much more by not going AI.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

"a hotel with a swimming pool and possibly a beach in walking distance"

You can find a place to stay which is going to be near the beach at all kinds of prices and quality. However choosing somewhere with a swimming pool obviously begins to reduce your options. Perhaps an ideal location is on or near the Paseo Maritimo,. I quickly turned up one example which may or may not be good called Princesa Playa Hotel Apartamentos

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187439-d2388…

But it is definitely worth going through the listing on TRIP ADVISOR and using the FILTER search ticking the swimming pool box.

This hotel is featured in the old part of Marbella and comes out tops

La Villa Marbella

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187439-d5413…

London
Level Contributor
469 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

Also, perhaps consider renting an apartment right in the center of town, near the beach and with a shared swimming pool or two down in the gardens. I have rented lovely but affordable apartments through Linglyn Travel, some have been in the Skol already recommended by Benny, and some in the Parque Building just over the road, both are just the ticket for a relaxing holiday and near a supermarket to stock up on breakfast things and snacks. The Skol has a little cafe down in their garden and you are right on the Paseo Maritimo with loads of cafes and beach restaurants right on the sand for inexpensive eats. There's also a fantastic Chinese restaurant on the Paseo called the Hong Kong and a tip top Indian called Jaipur, if you are anything like us and you need your fix of either on holiday! Have a brilliant time!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

The problem is if you want to be near the very pretty old town and beach, the hotels tend not to be AI. The AI ones are mostly way out in the sticks, with very little to see or do within walking distance, so you would probably need to hire a car.

Look at Skol Apts, Aparthotel Puerta Azul, Fuerte, Don Pepe, El Faro, Fuerte, some already mentioned. All are in a great location very close to beach and very pretty old town, easy walk to loads of reasonably priced shops, bars and restaurants. Some don't have pools but that doesn't matter much when you are so close to the sea. There are some really lovely hostels in the old town, with private rooms, which would save you money for eating out, which is so much nicer than AI-same if you have an apt where you can knock up some breakfast/ snacks. There are plenty supermarkets in the area, too. You could look at airbnb website for more apartments.

La Villa Marbella is lovely but might stretch your budget a bit, but I suggest you start with google map or booking.com and make a triangle of Don Pepe, La vIlla Marbella and Fuerte. Any place within this triangle is an excellent location.

6. Re: Marbella Old Town Expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 01, 2014