We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marriott timeshares in Spain

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
marriott timeshares in Spain

i will be using my Marriott timeshare to travel to Spain next year with 2 other couples, and am choosing between Marriott'sPlaya Andaluza in Malaga, or Marbella Beach costa del sol. Are they both on the beach? which one is newer, nicer?

also to go to Morocco from either of these, how long does it take, and do they offer excursions from either of these hotel?

any info very helpful. Thank you (Gracias)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

bump

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

you keep writing "bump" on your posts. What does this mean, may I ask?

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

Guess that "bump" is the disappointment she feels when no-one responds to her post.

Sorry, am no help regarding Marriott Timehares, but know a little about Morocco. Yes, excursions will certainly be on offer from either hotel, but just as certain will be the fact thay they will be priced higher than you pay elsewhere.

Current "going rate" for a day trip to Tangiers is 55 euros, and should be available at most travel shops in Marbella.

The Africa tour means an early start, being picked up at your hotel around 7am. You only have a short coach trip to Algeciras before the 50-minute ferry crossing to Tangiers.

Once you've been shown round the casbah, had lunch, etc, expect to get back to your timeshare by 9pm at the latest.

If you'd like to book before you go, you can e-mail the Excursion Centre at excursions@the holidayguide.net

They work in tandem with CostAfrica, so you might like to check out its website.

www.costafrica.com

Hope this has avoided any "bump" this time. Enjoy Spain. Tony.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

we are timeshare owners at the marriott marbella beach, its fabulous and the building work is finally finished. Its right at the beach, with access by key-gate. Some of the pools are right at the beach as well as restaurant etc.

Can't tell about playa andaluza as we have not stayed there yet. But its the newer of the two and probably still being built (ours took 6 years to finish).

Try and prebook an apartment near the clubhouse if you prefer shop, gym, sauna and indoor pools to be close by. Other buildings have maybe better seaview but you'll be walking a bit to get to above mentioned facilities. Also try and get an apartment on the top floor, the stone floors are a bit noisy if you have people staying above you, you can hear a lot of footfall.

Day trips to morocco can be arranged by the activities desk, expect to be taken to a shopping district and do try to avoid buying a rug unless you have done your homework on whats good and what's not. That said, our friends bought goods in morocco and had them shipped to Miami without a problem or any damage.

Its a great part of spain for touring, daytrip to granada and the alhambra is worth doing - just book alhambra tickets beforehand, one of the local banks (forgot which one but marriott reception can help you there) sells tickets for the alhambra - means you don't have to stand in line for ages to get your tickets. try and book early afternoon time slot for the castle part - this gives you enough time to drive to granada and have some lunch - or see the gardens first and then do the castle.

Ronda, Nerja and the mountains are a must as well - glorious countryside. And for retail therapy try puerto banus - every designer you ever dreamt of has a store and check out the yachts. Some good seafood restaurants along the marina and toni dalli's pizza & pasta restaurant in a street behind the marina - good food, prices are OK.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

bluesky, bump means to put a post to the beginning or first page (bump up my post -b.u.m.p.)

bearsden I am not disappointed if someone responds to my post or not, I bump simply because there is a time difference between countries and states, and unlike other forums, the spain forum seems to have many posts and mine will be on page 6 within an hour so new people logging on may not have the chance to read mine unless they go through that many pages.

Tomjunior, thank you so much for the helpful info.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

playa andalucia quieter and more relaxed,not yet completed but facilities good especially for families. Need car and no restaurant on site until March 2007 but plenty of local eateries. Have stayed in both resorts twice and prefer the playa andalucia. It is a wonderful place.

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

We stayed at the one in Malaga and I have to say we were really delighted with it.It has a resaturant on the beach, an indoor heated pool amd jacuzzis,an outdoor pool.My 7 and 3 year old boys loved it. as there was loads for them to do.Apartment was spacious and comfortable.The only negative point is that the on site shop isn't great and was not open 24 hours as advertised.That may well have changed by now.Hope you enjot it as much as we did.

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

where exactly are these timeshare resorts located?

I would love to visit Marbella so I was looking into Marriott Marbella Beach Club and Marriott Playa Andalusia. Are they closely located from the city of Marbella? Playa Andalusia is confusing as it is listed under Estepona, Malaga, and Marbella. Aren't these different cities (and not that close together it seems).

Which resort would be preferable base for touring the Costa del Sol? This would be my first trip to Spain and would like to be near cultural areas as well as beautiful sights instead of spending time at a remote resort.

Eastbourne, UK
Level Contributor
666 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

The Marriott Playa Andaluza is at Estepona and the Marrott Marbella Beach is at Elviria. Neither are actually in Marbella itself. Estepona is about 15 miles west of Marbella and Elviria about 10 miles east of Marbella. Marbella Beach is about 40 minutes from Malaga and Playa Andaluza a bit over an hour.

The confusion in terms of the address being 'Estepona, Marbella, Malaga' is because Estepona (and Elviria) are both classed as being part of the Marbella area in the province of Malaga.

In terms of your desire to tour the Costa and to experience the cultural side, much of this depends on exactly what you are hoping to see - much of the coast itself is largely built up around the tourist industry and is mulicultural as a consequence rather than typically Spanish. Marbella for example is a town which has grown outwards from the original Old Town, with it's beautiful patios, narrow streets and the Plaza de los Naranjos. Malaga is a beautiful city with more traditional 'culture' in terms of galleries, museums and the arts, not forgetting of course the Gibralfaro. The villages inland such as Mijas or Ronda are certainly worth a visit and may be more in line with what you are looking for, and beyond this of course, Granada, Jerez, Cordoba or Sevilla (although probably not all) are fantastic places to go, although are some distance from the Costa del Sol.

It comes down to time and how prepared you are to travel - I would certainly recommend a car to give you the freedom to choose.

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: marriott timeshares in Spain

thank you Phil, that was immensely helpful!