We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella or Puerto Banus?

Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Marbella or Puerto Banus?

Hello everyone,

We are two couples looking to go to Marbella this summer.

Aged around 30.

Would like to have a nice and chilled vacation, but also a couple of nights out partying.

Would you recommend staying in the town of Marbella or in Puerto Banus.

Looking to stay at a 4/5 star hotel.

Thanks alot!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

You have a lot more choice in Marbella (make sure you choose somewhere in Marbella Town, a lot of places claim to be in 'Marbella' and are actually a long way out), Banús is easily visited for a day (you can walk along by the sea, some nice stopping-places along the way) or if you want to go out for an evening then a taxi isn't expensive.

The problem with staying in Banús is that then you're faced with paying over-the-odds for every drink, snack etc., prices in Marbella are much more sensible.

Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

Thank you very much.

Do you have any hotel recommendations in Marbella town?

London
Level Contributor
469 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

The Fuerte Hotel Marbella is beautifully situated in between The Paseo Maritimo overlooking the beach and a five to ten minute leisurely walk to the adorable Old Town with lots of lovely bars, shops and restaurants. Another hotel quite nearby is the Don Pepe, but this a somewhat longer walk to the old town, and you may want to get a taxi back if you have been out for dinner. Both get good reviews and are only about a 10 minute taxi ride to Puerto Banus if you wanted to visit there. Or if you are feeling spritely during the day, you can walk all the way along the Paseo Maritimo to PB which takes about and hour and half.

Edited: 10:18 am, January 11, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

I would stay in Puerto Banus. Although you might pay a bit more on a night out it has a great atmosphere. You said that you are aged around 30 so for a few fun nights out and a few days relaxing. I lived in Puerto Banus and its great fun in the summer time as there is always something going on and you are within walking distance to all of the clubs and bars. I know Marbella might be cheaper but to be honest you might spend 7 euros a drink there and in Puerto Banus you might pay 9 euros a drink but the atmosphere is great and worth the extra money you might spend. its all down to preference I think. But so you know There are economical places to eat in Puerto Banus and you dont have to eat on the beach front every night. also you can rent apartments that are within walking distance to puerto banus for less then a hotel and you and your friends can all be together. You can be close enough but far enough so you can chill out and relax.

Edited: 12:18 pm, January 11, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

habjerke:

Another good hotel in Marbella is the Melia Don Pepe. It is on the beach and the paseo maritimo.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

I agree with maiteland, Puerto Banus is more fun. By day you have Ocean Club and Sala Beach and at night Pangea and Sleek.

Don't think that any of the hotels in PB are that great. You can stay between PB and Marbella at someplace like Puente Romano, only 5 minutes by car from PB and is more chilled but also puts you close to some other clubs like District 13 (behind Billionaire) Olivia Valere and their own Suite Del Mar on the beach.

Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

I would stay in Melia Marbella, the 4 star on the beach near ocean club in puerto Banus.. I prefer pb to Marbella personally, I think Marbella town is nice in parts but also quite dirty in parts with lots of high rise appt blocks.

Along the golden mile from pb to Marbella you also have coral beach and puente romano. The latter is expensive but great location.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

I agree, stay in Marbella, for all the reasons given by NSG and Kiklondon.

Bamus doesn't have much going for it except overpriced partying - fine for a night or two, but not you whole holiday.

Go to the top left of this page to look at a big selection of hotels, with reviews. No one can really recommend anything without knowing your likes/ dislikes, budget, etc.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

Regarding the dirty comments on Marbella made by a poster above.

You have to understand that Marbella is a working town where locals live and work, while Puerto Banús has a much more tourist resort look and feel.

Marbella historic centre is one of the most beautiful in the area, very well preserved and lovely to walk. You might enjoy staying there, although as noted it doesn't get as lively at night as Puerto Banús does.

The good part of staying in Marbella is that while you are still in one of the most touristic towns in Spain, you can get some local feel which is very apparent in some parts. This is almost impossible to get in Puerto Banús, which is much more international.

Also transport to other parts of the region is way easier from Marbella than it is from Puerto Banús.

Have fun.

10. Re: Marbella or Puerto Banus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Marbella