We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Would anyone care to tackle the question of similarities and dissimilarities between south Florida and Cancun beaches, bars, hotels, natural beauty of the beach/water, etc. to Marbella? Or are those areas totally unlike Marbella and the Costa del Sol in most ways?

We plan to drive along the Costa del Sol on our way to Sevilla. We have basically 2 days and one night open, but are considering spending that one night in Ronda - OR somewhere around Marbella. Therefore I am trying to zero in on the most scenic or fun places to stop for a short while along the way. I read conflicting reports of the area and am just trying to get a better idea of what we can expect.

So far seeing the yachts at Puerto Banus sounds good. But what about any NICE beaches where it would be fun to swim or relax, tan, etc. along the coast? Are there any good SAND beaches? What about the temperature of the water in early June. Warm enough to swim comfortably or not?

Thanks for any replies.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Beaches are all sand but, like all beaches on Costa del Sol, the sand is dark/clay coloured. Plenty of sunbeds etc. and water pleasantly warm for swimming.

Marbella old town pretty and Puerto Banus worth a short visit but VERY expensive by local standards. Inland countryside far more scenic than that area of coast.

For more yellow beaches head for Costa de la Luz around the corner on Atlantic coastline. Water nowhere near as warm though and can be very windy.

UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

in my opinion nothing like Miami or Ft Lauderdale, cant comment on cancun as never been there but compared to other beaches in Mexico, the beaches along the costa del sol dont really compare. The beaches are nice but not as nice as what you guys have over there, blackish sand and water not so clear. If you are driving through then def stop off to see Puerto Banus and people watch, beware its quite expensive. Weather will be good in June.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

I'm afraid you'll be very dissapointed with the beaches and the sea by comparrison, you will find the water cold. Also, depending on your tastes you may find much of the Costa Del Sol very tacky. If I was you, I would not waste time around the beaches if you are used to tropical condituions.

For us in U.K. the beaches are good and Puerto Banus is a curiosity but Miami it is NOT!

In my view you should take the opportunity to experience the culture of Spain as it's fantastic, there is not much left in Marbella or along the coastal strip.

I therefore recommend skipping them in favour of a visit to Malaga and then on to your 2nd option of Ronda. Other cities and the small white villages inland will impress you much more than the costas and give you a more rewarding insight.

Level Contributor
322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

We were disappointed in the Costa del Sol. Over built, crowded and not many beaches that are easily accessible unless you stay at one of the hotels. We stayed in Estepona and drove our car to see the sites. And we were happy to move onto Nerja, Granada and Cordoba. I agree with above, I would spend my time experiencing the flavor and people of Andalusia and make Costa del Sol just a drive by. And yes, the water will be cold, the temperature by the beach will be pleasant in June.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Thanks to all of you for some GREAT answers! Although I didn't think the Costa del Sol would really be too much like Miami, etc., a direct comparison gives me a better idea of just how it WILL be. Your replies gave information I pretty much expected and helped me make a decision.As a result, I have made a reservation at a hotel in Ronda! We will still drive along the coast in spots and plan to visit some of the areas for just a short "look-see", but I, too, agree that we will no doubt get more out of our trip going inland. I appreciate every one of your informative and helpful posts! Don't hesitate to add anything else that comes to mind! Thanks again.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

mlb. I think this forum and your research will serve you well and your going to make rthe most of your visit.

I'll repeat Malaga because it's often missed. The old town and around the cathedral is worth seeing.

The only town on the beach that may interest you is Nerja, 45 min drive east of Malaga, depending on how much time you have. A walk out onto the Balcon for the views and a walk in the old town for a quick lunch time tapas would be very pleasant. In Andalusia, the people, the food and the laid back culture is wonderful - have a great vacation!

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Me again Lmb. I just noticed your other posts with further info that you are in Granada and heading to the coast. I didn't realise that, in that case -

If you take the motorway down to Motril and pick up the coast road heading for Malaga you will pass Salobrena, you''ll see the island type fortress as you approach. That's worth a climb to the top, one of the bars at the top has a roof terrace where you can sit and take in the views.

20 mins further along the you'll find Nerja as I mentioned. When you leave Nerja, the road north just 5 km is Frigiliana a nice white village.

Those three stops plus Malaga before you hit Ronda will be a nice drive and very rewarding. Have fun.

Bielefeld, Germany
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Hi,

We just had a lovely trip from Sevilla to Malaga (10 days). Marbella was probably our least favorite area. The Yacht harbor at Puerto Banus has some overwhelming private boats and very expensive stores, but that's about it. (Kind of like Ft. Lauderdale shopping -- many designer shops and flashing jewels.)

Ronda is not to be missed - it has absolutely breathtaking views - and can best be enjoyed before or after the tourist buses arrive or leave! Hope you have a wonderful clear day to see it all. (Probably the best point to see the gorge is from behind the Parador at the bridge). There is also some lovely handwork in the shops there (embroidered tablecloths really made in Spain and not imported from China, etc.)

Have a wonderful trip.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Reading these reviews on Marbella makes me sorry I have purchased my tickets. These comments directly contradict what I have read from other reviews. Sea water cold in June? If Marbella was mentioned in here as the least likeable area in Spain there is not much to say, except to wonder if it is worth a trip. If Marbella cannot be compared to Miami (of all places!) then I don't see how it can have any attraction and why do many people rave about it.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marbella compared to Miami, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL in the...

Hi Fanaway. Sorry if it's put you off, there is a lot of offer the visitor. My response was to answer the question comparing it with Miami, Cancun etc.

With specific regard to the water and beaches.

For European visitors the water is o.k. in June and the weather usually excellent. U.K. visitors rave about the costa del Sol and most visitors come from northern Europe ie Scandinavia, Germany, U.K. etc. where their weather is very cold and unpredictable.

But for U.S. visitors they have to realise it's not the tropics, if you arrive expecting perfect white sand, warm blue waters with coloured fish and pelicans diving around you ( as in Florida etc.) you'll be dissapointed. The spanish culture is absolutely delightful as are the people, but many parts have become spolit and overdeveloped so a bit of research to choose the best spot will be well worthwhile.

Get answers to your questions about Marbella