We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Hi everyone,

We are planning to have our first Xmas and New Year away from home and booking 4 weeks in an apartment in El Paraiso.

We have a few areas of concern and wonder if anyone can offer their personal opinion?

I've seen some posts on other forums that conflict - some people say it's a ghost town, others disagree. Is it still lively enough/places open?

Our preference would be to eat out on Xmas day - can anyone advise of any restaurants they would recommend Marbella/Peurto Banus areas that will be open on Xmas Day?

I know nobody can predict the weather, and we are not expecting sunshine every day but in general will it be really cold and wet?

Thanks for any help :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Hi,

I would never call Marbella a ghost town anytime of the year, you have been misguided by those reports. Marbella, while an important tourist destination, is also a medium sized working town and many people, Spanish and foreign, live there permanently.

You should note that the big event for Spanish Christmas is the Christmas evening rather then the following day, so many restaurants will be operating as usual on Christmas day. In fact, this is a day where many families and friends get together to eat out (as opposed to Christmas evening when virtually everybody stays at home).

As you rightly guess it is impossible to predict what the weather will be. We have had pretty good weather during Christmas lately, but there is no guarantee that it won't rain.

If you are lucky you might even get some beach weather.

Have fun.

Edited: 3:11 am, October 18, 2012
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Imogen, by 'Christmas evening' MACP means Christmas Eve (Christmas evening to us would mean the evening of the 25th Mac, confusion is easy in these things!).

Otherwise, as ever, he's spot on.

The Casco Antiguo (Old Town) in Marbella has some great places that will be open on Christmas Day. You will need to plan for Christmas Eve, almost everywhere will be shut after lunch - normally by about 4pm.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Thank you for the correction NSG. I actually knew that but somehow my English skills are slowly being diluted with all that bl**dy French I have to speak lately... :)

bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

thank you both for your helpful replies, feeling ever reassured now!

thanks again

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

Mais le français est la langue du monde ... qu'ils pensent!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

imogen:

I am sure you will be able to find some restaurants open at the paseo maritimo on Christmas Day.

7. Re: Month stay over Xmas and New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 22, 2013