We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

NJ
Level Contributor
546 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

We're traveling to Marbella in October and some are a bit hesitant to visit Morocco. Is it safe for U.S. citizens?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

Certainly thousands of US cirizens visit every year without any problems, obviously should any political drama intervene between now and October then that position could change.

Have a look here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187438-i333-k55…

Edited: 3:10 am, August 19, 2012
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

I would read what the American travel website says. Sorry if this seems like scare mongering but I wouldn't travel there. The British fco talks about enhanced terrorist risks.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

That's only down in the south due to the dispute over Western Sahara, I wouldn't think any terrorist risk in, say, Tangier would be any greater than in London or Madrid.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

According to the Fco there is an enhanced risk across morocco. I read it just the other week on their website.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

This is what the US State Department is saying....:

an increased threat of terrorist incidents of international origin, as well as the potential for isolated violence related to the political situation

...and that's about the UK!

All US citizens are on a permanent warning about being aware when outside the USA, and clearly should be more so when in Muslim countries, but there hasn't been any incidences of US citizens being targetted in Morocco - especially day-trip Morocco.

Keeping abreast of the situation is, of course, sensible though. If they don't feel safe going then it's probably not worth them doing so as they won't enjoy it. Let them look at it from Gib. instead.

Meanwhile we all just swan around without a care, I suppose that comes from having had a physical (rather than economic) empire in the past!

uk
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

hmmm. i think sometimes government websites can be a little too scare mongery sometimes. i know several people who have gone back packing in pakistan and afghanistan recently and were fine. trouble is the problem is only in certain regions, like in helmand province in afganistan, but everywhere else is fine. trouble is all we here on the news is the country. like egypt for instance. the tourist parts have been fine, where as the trouble has been elsewhere, but some people have stopped going because they thing all of egypt is rioting, and that just isnt the case.

i think at the moment some people are very scared of going to muslim countries because of what appears to be instability. and if im honest so am i. if thats the case with you, then maybe you shouldnt go. theres no point if you arent 100% about it, because the first time something comes on the news about morocco youre going to want to cancel. theres plenty of other places to go to.

Edited: 6:40 am, August 20, 2012
NJ
Level Contributor
546 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

Thank you. I think we'll stay in Spain (w/ a side trip to Gibraltar).

8. Re: Morocco safe for U.S. travelers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 22, 2013