We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Comares

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
68 reviews
71 helpful votes
day trip to Comares

Hi, saw a tv programme other night which had details of a beautiful place called Comares and it said it was an hour's drive from Malaga. Now, we've been caught before on these twisty turny mountain roads that take all day and, looking at Google maps/street scene, this MA3111 looks like one of those roads! It also looks as though the same twisty turny road is the only way back which could also be a short cut to the divorce courts! Does anyone know anything about Comares and the route? We will be staying in Fuengirola and do like a good mystery tour but not sure about this one. Posted this on the Fuengirola forum but think it would do better on this one. Anyway, many thanks in advance for any advice.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
73,652 posts
3,830 reviews
3,442 helpful votes
1. Re: day trip to Comares

winchmoren:

I have been to Comares. Yes, the road after Velez-Malaga has many curves, but it is worth going. Just be patient with the road and take your time.

Comares is one of the most beautiful white towns in the Axarquia, east of Malaga, and is perched on one of the highest mountains, 739 meters above the sea. The road to the town passes the big town of Velez-Malaga.

The town was built in the 3rd century B.C. and later when the Moors arrived, it became one of their strongholds in the Axarquia and they built a little castle at the highest point. This town is one of the most beautiful and charming white towns in the Axarquia, which is the region east of Malaga. The road leading to the town is very winding, and with many curves. But the little town is worth seeing. Mass tourism has not discovered this place yet or altered it. Few tourists go there.

The town has the most stupendous views of the countryside below. Everywhere one goes in the town, there are viewpoints where one can see the valleys below and other white towns in the distance.

What is very nice about this town is that after one enters a Moorish arch at the town entrance, one will find a ceramic tile with a footprint, showing which direction one should follow, so one never gets lost in the town. Every so often one will find a wall plaque made of ceramics, telling one story of the town's history. Everything is whitewashed and most of the houses have flowers near their entrances. The villagers are friendly and offer visitors raisins and almonds for sale.

The best views are at the little castle. One can see the countryside and also get a good view of the town. Beside the castle is the town cemetery, which is simple and beautiful. The villagers put fresh flowers beside the niches where their families rest, so it is very colorful and not depressing.

The best part is having lunch at the Atalaya Restaurant, which is at the entrance to the town. This restaurant is very good and quite inexpensive. Everything is tasty, especially the very fresh potato croquets, which are out of this world.

This beautiful and unspoiled town has not been discovered yet by mass tourism.

england
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
3 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: day trip to Comares

hi saw same tv show, as don't drive can it be reached by public transport Benny?also going from Torreblanca/Fuengirola but not till later in year.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
3. Re: day trip to Comares

Assume you mean by car. If so yes the dilema I've always had, family want to chill by the pool and I want to set of into them there hills.

Comares is worth a visit but it is twisting roads and very uphill to get there, if you go early morning or evening you miss the tours, the trouble with anything so pretty in this region is they have coach tours and other folk like you (and me) all wanting to go see, it remains very pretty but at the wrong time villages get that theme park effect where it's spoilt if you are trapsing around with 100's of tourists all taking photos etc.

With family I used to take lots of pit stops to gain brownie points, use a route that also takes in a beach or a water park or just a stroll on the flat. Many if not most white villages require uphill climbs, some difficult walking in the heat (certainly Comares) so bear that in mind, don't arrive midday. I also used to get up very early and go to some places on my own, having had 4 or 5 hours touring I'd be back at the pool before the others are ready for the day, have to say early morning drives into the mountains are for me the best.

My interest and that theme continus today, I work periodically around the CDS and most free times by day I jump in the car and head away from the coast, for me it's the best part of Andalusia, along with the grand cities. Therefore if same mindest and family are not up for it consider a lone 5am start and take a nice peaceful drive.

As already thinking an hour + , I also suggest you head east towards Nerja and take in some of the villages north and on a loop back to Malaga, you could stop in Nerja for a few hours but it's the region around Nerja north and east that has far less visitors and is very pretty, many of the villages do not feel such a theme park.

If you go to Frigiliana from Nerja that's well on the tour map, then head to Comares, then follow a trail heading north and west back towards the city, several routes and loops depending on time available. Have a look on a map and you'll see all the villages dotted around, you can also head back via lake Vinulela. Rule of thumb closer to Malaga the more tourists you'll meet even in out the way villages so it's up to you how far you drive and yes such roads do take time to navigate, think average speed 20.

A good way to plan such trips is to use MIchelin:

www.viamichelin.com

Stoofer

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
68 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: day trip to Comares

Thank you so much for all the info - we will certainly make the trip and I agree that early morning is probably a good time to set off. We liked Frigiliana when we visited last year and hope it doesn't turn into a Mijas Pueblo tourist trap in the future - I can't remember the name of the pretty little church in the middle but we went in out of the heat and sitting in the peace and quiet had an almost spiritual moment (no, we are not religious!). These small villages are what makes the area so appealing. We are only hiring a little Fiat 500 so it will probably be a whole day experience from Fuengirola to Comares - can't wait!

5. Re: day trip to Comares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 05, 2016