We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaga to madrid

texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
malaga to madrid

I am arriving by ship on Malaga on a Sunday. How close is the train station to the cruise port. I want to go by train to Madrid airport. Any help???

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,920 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaga to madrid

A short taxi ride away. Not far at all perhaps 15mins depending on traffic.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaga to madrid

Hey gary

Once you get to Malaga Train Station you can catch the AVE service to Atocha Train Station in Madrid...

You can book tickets online here: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

and here are the times for a Sunday: …postimg.org/czlo1mq59/malaga_to_madrid_trai…

Once at the station the easiest way is the Express Bus that goes direct to the Airport, see here for further info:

www.esmadrid.com/en/barajas-airport-express

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaga to madrid

Presume you do not wish to fly direct from Malaga?

texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: malaga to madrid

MKB, Thank You. That was just what I needed.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaga to madrid

You're welcome,

If Renfe proves too much of a hassle (it can age you by about 20 years in just half an hour of using the site) then here is a real good alternative: https://loco2.com/spanish-rail

Feel free to post back with any other questions.

Edited: 5:45 pm, March 21, 2014
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaga to madrid

garyelo:

The distance from the cruise terminal to the Maria Zambrano Station is 4 km. A taxi will cost about 7 euros.

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

The AVE will take you to the Atocha Station in Madrid. You can take a taxi from there to the airport for 30 euros and this will take half an hour.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaga to madrid

Don't feel too ripped off if the fare is more than 7 euros to the station. We did the journey two years ago and it was 10 and fares have gone up since then.

Do check out the flights although i appreciate luggage may be a problem. they love their demonstrations in Madrid on a Sunday and the half hour taxi may be optimistic at the best of times.

Iberia Express, Air Europa or a scraper like rumbo.es are your best bets.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaga to madrid

It's always good to get a quote before getting into a Taxi, then at least you're not shocked when you arrive at your destination :)

<<The AVE will take you to the Atocha Station in Madrid. You can take a taxi from there to the airport for 30 euros and this will take half an hour.>> - I wouldn't waste the €30 personally when for 10 mins more it will only cost you €5 on the express bus !!

Edited: 7:11 am, March 22, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: malaga to madrid

I would prefer to get to Barajas airport directly but if using the train you will also have a free transfer included on your ticket. However it does mean at Atocha you have to walk to the Cercanias platforms and obtain your Cercanias ticket from the machine using the Combinado Cercanias number which you will see on your AVE ticket. (see more under Item 87 on the Buying Renfe Tickets guide mentioned above) This is not as difficult as it may sound as instructions can be found in English and it takes just a few seconds to print a ticket.

The Cercanias train is quite spacious so bags should not be any problem and times and route of the Line are shown on here

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Basically the train goes every 30 minutes and takes 25 minutes to finish at Terminal 4.

I normally use this service if having the long distance train ticket into Atocha.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: malaga to madrid

Thanks for this link. I've been having the hardest times with the euro rail site and then trying to understand the renfe site. Does this train you posted leave from the Madrid airport? How much time should I leave between flight landing and train departure?