We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Care Hire Hidden Charges

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ukswift88
Level Contributor
504 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Care Hire Hidden Charges

Hi

When using car hire at Malaga airport I have previously used holiday autos etc to search the best deal. But on the last 2 occasions when we go to pick the car up we are charged extra insurance fee per day or asked to pay the excess up front and claim a refund on return of the car. I observed people attempting to reclaim their excess and the agents were making it difficult so reluctantly paid the extra insurance.

Does anyone know any firms that will give a total price for booking up front without the extra charges?

Alternatively I have seen a company iCArhireinsurance offer the same "excess insurance" as the agents at the desk for a much lower fee. Has anyone used this? Has it been accepted by the desk agents?

This year we are travelling with our 1 year old and want an on-airport car hire company with straight forward terms (ideally not the one with the huge queue...)

Thanks in advance

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

We used a different excess insurance company and luckily we didn't need to use it. You will still have to leave a deposit (taken from your credit card) but if anything happens you could get it back through your insurance.

I've got to say though, that all the fees are not hidden, they are in the terms and conditions of all car hire firms. Even the ones with the best reputation have similar charges - we used Helle Hollis last year, we had our own excess insurance but had to leave a deposit fo around €400 and €89 for the fuel. It was all refunded when we got back with a full tank of fuel.

Don't hire with Goldcar, Firefly or Marbesol, they have the worst reputation on the coast. and should be avoided. We went with Helle Hollis (off airport but their mini bus picks you up and we were in the depot and out again within 20 mins), they are not the cheapest but Mantalk and Alinbenalmadena will allow members to use their Family and Friends codes to get 15% discount. Don't forget if you're not taking your own car seat you will need to hire one - can be cheaper to hire from www.totstore.com who have a shop at Malaga Airport.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

It is definitely worth getting your own insurance excess, but only if you stick with the better car hire companies. If you go with Goldcar, Firefly etc, the sales people at the desks will not accept it (even though they should). I don't know the insurance company you have quoted. I use http://insurance4carhire.com/ but I think they are all very similar.

You will find that some of the off airport car hire companies are quicker and easier for starting your holiday. It only means a very short walk out the airport exit to a waiting shuttle bus. Have a look at malagacar.com and if you get a quote from Helle Hollis you are welcome to use my code H6486 for an extra 15% off the price and there is also an online voucher for another 10€ off the price:

https://s5.newzapp.co.uk/t/gtp_pg.aspx…

ukswift88
Level Contributor
504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

Thanks for your replies. I normally wouldn't mind shuttle bus. But with extra luggage, buggy and baby I think it would be easier for a company at the airport. Plus we are not taking our car seat so would need to hire one. Which would you say we're the better ones that would accept the insurance?

I travel quite a lot and never have these extra payments in USA or even Portugal. Everything is included upfront. Only tolls etc are offered as extra.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

Sorry, I can't help with which on airport companies to use as I have avoided them for quite a few years now. I'm sure MT or CJB will be able to help you when they see your post :)

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

On airport I like Sixt and EuropCar and I hire cars for six weeks each year.

I have to agree with CJB and Al re the charges. They are not hidden if folks would read the T&Cs. I have hired under the same conditions in Eire. I too have a separate insurance policy which costs 39.99 per year, the hire company blocks say 500€ on my credit card until the vehicle is returned and has always been quickly cleared from my account. I prefer a full/full hire in terms of fuel as I cover quite a lot of mileage and I don't like running to the airport on guess work as far as an empty tank is concerned.

Saludos. Lindsay

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

Our last on airport hire was with Avis via Auto-europe, and that was in 2011 so not really best placed to talk about on airport companies.

However, as far as the car seat is concerned, they are not cheap to hire from some companies so make sure you check how much they will charge. As I said before you could try totstore at the airport and compare the prices. I just looked on Totstore and they charge around €3 a day for hire of a car seat and if you go with them, I'd book before you go. They aren't in the same area as the car hire companies and garage so not sure how it would work in going to get the seat but I'm sure they would be able to advise you through their website.

Also, regarding the insurance, all companies should all accept it, some may say they don't initially but stick to your guns and don't take the one they offer. The staff are on commission so its in their interest to push it. They will block the deposit on your card but a good company will remove it immediately or if they actually charged it (which some do) will refund within a couple of days. Always make sure you take dated pictures when you check the car over and that there are no dents or scratches on the car that aren't noted on the contract - especially check the windscreen for chips! Take photos again when you return the car - some companies will find something you missed otherwise.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

With Helle Hollis shuttle to the office, they give you a mobile number to text when you have cleared baggage reclaim, this then texts back where the shuttle bus and how long to pick you up. Your keys are ready and waiting on the counter in their office. Never seen a Queue.

The last "on airport" one i used was Recordgo, I have my own excess cover, they still take deposit from the c card, after trying to tell you the excess cover you bought is not as good as theirs. The Q`s werent too bad but this was out of peak season.

Previous to that hire I was allocated Goldcar the Q was over 2hrs wait. Needless to say I didnt wait, but went to Autos Lidos desk which was empty, they werent far off the Goldcar price but we drove away within 20mins.

www.malagacar.com also provide good service but again shuttle bus required.

Balance up the "need" for on airport and potential Q with the perceived "hassle" of a shuttle bus 5 min journey. Then beware the Full/Empty fuel policy applied by most suppliers.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

#2. re your comment that companies should accept your independently arranged scdw insurance....why should they? they have absolutely no idea if it is genuine or not, and it is an insurance matter strictly between the hirer and his company. the rental company have no idea if they could claim or receive reimbursement. that is why they will take a hold on your card, if you decline their own arranged scdw.

other than that, as others have said, all these issues are clearly stated in t and c. always read them before booking, and you will not have a problem.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

Nakagoli, some companies have told members that they are not covered at all (even when they take a deposit!) by the hirer's own insurance. There's at least one person on the forums who ended up with his own insurance and was bullied into buying the car company's one too which is ridiculous.

When we hired with Helle Hollis last year we had our own insurance and took the details with us to show them, they were happy to accept that. Its not the hire company that claim on the excess insurance cover if something happens, its the person hiring the car to get back the deposit that they left, which the company took in lieu of the insurance cover they were selling. Hope that makes sense?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Care Hire Hidden Charges

cj..partly! a hirer need not have their own scdw or take the scdw offered by the rental company, and in that case, the hold/deposit is required. but if a rental company states that the persons own scdw is not acceptable to them, there are only two alternatives..1 buy the rental company's scdw...or 2 accept that there is a hold on your cc.

if you refuse both, then the company has a right not to let you take the car.

the second part of your post, is what I was saying. but as regards the first part, I didn't see the relevant post, but there is a possibility that there was a misunderstanding either by the poster or by the rental company.

as I said, there are two alternatives, and only two.

any bullying by any rental company is to be deplored, but as long as you stand to the letter of the t and c, you should not be forced into taking something which is not needed.