We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
54 reviews
Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Trying to work out whether to go with full/empty policy of full /full on car hire, the former is clearly a ruse that benefits the renatl company . Key seems to be how big the premium is on the fuel you have to prepay for on the full empty policy. Looking at a Fiat Panda which hold 8 gallons with a cost of about £48 to fill the tank if buying from a local petrol station. Anyone know what the mark up on that will be at a rental agency doing a full/empty fuel policy. Will it be double, more than double ? Recent experience would be great.

Greater London...
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Full/Full policy usually means the initial hire costs are higher so it can work out about the same. When we hire a car, we always do full/full as we are never sure about whether we will do a lot of miles or not so although we paid slightly more (although a good deal) with Helle Hollis last year for the initial hire, we did the full/full and when we topped up the car before taking it back it cost us €43 and we were driving a Suzuki Splash and we were given a full refund of what we'd paid at pick up so that's all we used.

I know that Mantalk had posted something about how to work out whether it was worth it or not, but it was awhile back, if I can find it I'll link it in this thread.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
1 review
2. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Although I am guaranteed to use more than the tank I always take full/full too. I believe the price per litre is quite substantially more than pump prices, it is not all profit, the car hire companies have to factor in the time it takes a member of staff to go to the filling station, that said they don't do it for no gain.

Once, a good number of years ago and this was with Niza cars, I turned up to collect my car (just me and my son) to be told that they had not had time to fill the tank so I would not be charged for the fuel, this was the only time I had arranged full/empty. When I switched the car on the fuel warning light came on immediately so I had no way of knowing how many miles might be in the tank and as it was the first time I had picked up in Málaga I was unsure of where the nearest gasolineria was so I was a little nervous. Thankfully I found one a mile or so from the airport so the panic was over. The other thing is, if you take full/empty, we all know there could be anything from 40-65 miles in a tank once the warning light comes on but it is very difficult to judge and when nearing the end of your holiday you are a bit betwixt and between whether or not to put more in if you are on full/empty. Full/full means you don't have to think about this or take the risk of running out two miles before the airport.

I guess I am cautious by nature.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 12:39 pm, January 09, 2014
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
136 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

http://www.goldcar.es/SDR/ Goldcar class a Fiat Panda as AA category and would be charged at 57€ according to their table.

Just did a quick comparison with www.hellehollis.com on Full/Full for a Corsa 98€ before 15% discount with H4589 code. (feel free to use it)

www.doyouspain.com had Clio 5dr at 28€ on Full/empty basis. Even with a 70€ fuel charge and returning with half a tank doyouspain would be better value. Quote based on random dates of 1st to 8th march for both quotes. Beware the top up insurance scam too. Most suppliers charge heavily for this. Dont be fooled by "fully comprehensive" in the adverts as this still does not cover, tyres, underbody, glass, misfuelling, wheels and anything else they can think of. Take your own policy from UK at around £2 per day. Although you will still have to leave a deposit with your credit card.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
1 review
4. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Regarding an insurance policy, mine cost me 39.99 GBP and covers multiple trips throughout the year. I purchased my policy through www.travelsupermarket.com

Lindsay

Greater London...
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

I got mine through quidco.com and got quite a bit back, company was direct-carexcess.co.uk an annual policy was £39.99 - cheaper than for a two week cover.

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
532 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Just booked Helle Hollis again for this year. They were fantastic last year . Got a refund on fuel but will give it back full this year and get a full refund. I didn't shop around as we were so impressed with their service and from getting picked up in the bus and driving off in car was only about 30 mins. No queuing and this year should be quicker as they have all our details. You can join their home owner club and get 15pc off plus €10 off for booking early. Took out excess insurance in Uk for £11 for the week (didn't plan to hire another car this year so annual policy not worth it for us ) . They were ok with this whereas Record Go the previous year gave us a hard time. Finally HH cars were immaculate as they get valeted after use. The Record Go was filthy and bashed to pieces. Also you just pay on arrival €170 for a week in July for a Group D car - we are happy with that as only £21 a day.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Thanks guys, looks like will go with full/full using Helle Hollis which is a company that gets alot of good recommendations. Hi Mantalk is it ok to use your code, do we have to prove we are your best bud or anything ?

With Helle Hollis I understand they take a !00 Euro fule deposit which is returned if car is returned full. Are there any other charges. Seems they require excess insurance, is that so, if it is can we arrange our own or do we have to use theirs as opinions appear divided on this ? Are there any other charges ? Most importantly are they really reliable because there are some horror stories on here about car rental companies in Malaga.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

just correcting my errors, I meant 100 Euro fuel deposit !

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
1 review
9. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

You will be fine with UK purchased insurance, the normal practice is to block somewhere between 300 and 500€ on your credit card and this is unblocked as soon as the car is returned in good order. Yes there are horror stories but I think you will find that a huge number of them centre around the fact that people have not read the T&Cs and are unaware of what the 'inclusive insurance' offered by the hire companies actually includes or rather does not include although it is all there for them to read if you they would just do it.

Another point worth noting is that the staff on the counter are just people doing a job. And yes if the queue is big as it regularly is with the cheapest operators (I cite Goldcar as an example) and you have spent a lot of time (wasted) waiting on your turn it is easy to be less than pleasant. I have heard people yelling at the staff and at booking agents over their mobile phones. How would you speak to someone who approached you with an attitude like this? A little politeness works wonders.

Happy holidays.

Lindsay

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
136 reviews
10. Re: Car Hire : Full /Empty or Full /Full Fuel policy

Helle Hollis will try to sell you their "excess cover" I have an annual standalone policy with https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk/ no problem with HH. Although they will charge you the standard deposit upfront. As with Fuel, its returned to your card when you are still at their office at the airport.

The code is a Family & Friends code. You dont have to be best buds. LOL. Just enter H4589 on the reservation page.