We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas shopping

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas shopping

Would Malaga be a good place to visit for christmas shopping? I am thinking about shoe shops and huge branches of Zara and Massimo dutti...

Will I get such shops or would I be better to go to another city.

Also does Malaga have a christmas market?

Thanks once again

L

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas shopping

Málaga is wonderful during Christmas. Decorations are one of the best I've seen in many cities, some of them great cities of the world (I'm from Málaga so I might be biased, of course!), and the city centre has a great ambience.

We do have a Christmas market at the park, and yes, you can find all those shops and more in the city centre.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas shopping

you wouldn't do better in Madrid or Barcelona and the atmosphere in both wouldn't be nearly as good.

OK maybe I am a bit prejudiced too, but only a bit.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas shopping

This is starting to sound like a plan! I must confess that I had not thought of Malaga as a shopping place before today and it looks like I say be onto a winner

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas shopping

Málaga is marvellous for Christmas shopping, and the weather in December is often lovely too (certainly compared to Brum). If you avoid the last few days before Christmas (when many expats are flying to the UK) you can get some remarkably good flight prices too.

If you want beach, stay in Torremolinos (easy into Málaga city by local train). if you want city there are some great hotels in Málaga centre.

There are a huge range of shops, including many small independent ones as well as all the chains, and as MACPollo says there is also the Christmas Market. You'll struggle to find Villa shirts though....

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas shopping

We love going to Malaga any time of the year, but December is lovely with all the decorations that are around the city.

There are plenty of shoe shops ;-)

There's Zara and Zara home too, and if you like department stores El Corte Ingles is good to look around.

The market is not quite like Prague/Tallinn/Riga (who sell hand made decorations/goods) but is still interesting to look around, you may find things to buy for presents!

The flights will be reasonable and city centre hotels may also do offers.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas shopping

pongo:

The good thing about shopping in Malaga is that all these stores are concentrated downtown and all are within walking distance to each other.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas shopping

Fab. We are not beach people,but love the cities of Spain and the islands. Time to start hunting I think. What sort of a market is it?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas shopping

It is quite nice but to be honest not, I would have said, a major reason for coming here. The rest though, the things to see, the things to buy from the famous storesto little designer shops, the extraordinary side trips available to stunning cities, even, perhaps a little ski ing. Malaga is wonderful.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas shopping

manzana is spot on. You won't find the kind of great Christmas markets of central and northern Europe down here. We go to Dresden every year to visit good friends and we love the markets there. It is nice enough though, and the rest is as said great.

You'll have a great time if you decide on Málaga.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas shopping

The markets are not my mai aim- uterque, Zara, mango Massimo dutti , cote d'ingles and the shoe shops are my main port of call!