We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedregalejo

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Pedregalejo

We are planning to visit Spain end of May travelling by train. We will visit several big cities and stay in hotels but also fancy a week self catering somewhere a bit relaxed. I am looking at some properties in Pedregalejo but have read mixed views on the area. We are in our late 50s and would like some local bars and restaurants but will also use the bus to get to Malaga centre. We might want a few dips in sea and like to walk and sit by the sea but will not be spending time on the beach. May also do a day trip to cordoba . Will it be a good base for us?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pedregalejo

The sea will probably still be a bit chilly for swimming in, unless you are very hardy. I don't know the area you are looking but you could also have a look at the La Carihuela area of Torremolinos. Not too far from Malaga City (short train ride fromTorremolinos) but has a long flat paseo between Torremolinos and Benalmadena, a lovely beach with some great beach bars and great restaurants and one street back from the paseo there are so many bars and restaurants to choose from.

There are several self catering apartment complexes, including Carihuela Park Palace, Palm Beach but if you have a look on the Holiday Lettings and Owners Direct websites you will find a good selection of places in all the resorts along the coast.

Malaga City is a wonderful place to spend a day wandering around the historical sites and sampling the tapas and Malaga wines. You will have a wonderful time.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,270 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pedregalejo

CeeDee:

Pedregalejo is a 10 minute bus ride from Malaga's downtown. The neighborhood is fine. There are many language schools located there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pedregalejo

We've stayed in Pedregalejo 5 times I think. We go back because it's like home to us. It's not Marbella: it's a little bit shabby in parts. But we know where our favourite supermarkets, bars and restaurants are. We enjoy little suburbs like Cerrado de Calderon (up behind Pedregalejo promenade) too. The area is full of locals and it's great to forget about Brits while you're there. :) We like walking along the promenade and looking at the houses and flats there and wish we owned one. We like watching the people on the beach and sometimes have a swim with the locals. We love the ice cream parlours and have a different flavour every day and take a stroll up the prom with it. We have our favourite bars (La Paloma for evenings and people watching, Virguerias in Cerrado for lazy lunchtimes and evenings and the Swan bar on Pedregalejo Playa for breakfast occasionally or if Malaga are playing football on TV in the evenings. We walk into Malaga in about 45 minutes and stop off at a chiringuito on the way or on the way home. We might hire a couple of umbrellas on the beach. We like walking to El Palo along the promenade too. Love it when the sun comes up in the morning over the Catholic school on top of the hill above Pedregalejo and lights up the bay. Loads of nautical comings and goings on the water too. Can't wait to go back this year in August :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pedregalejo

Well Jimmy has put it in a way that I dare not improve even if I have lived in Málaga for almost 40 years and gone to Pedregalejo over the years for my nightlife, beach and seafood treats.

It is a very nice place to stay, although not touristy at all (I am not sure whether that is what you want).

Norwich, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Pedregalejo

Hello,

I am currently sat on Pedregalejo beach, and today it reached 26 degrees, plus I've been in the sea for a dip! You really feel like you've become a spaniard for a week when you're here! The promenade along to e next resort is a lovely walk, the 11 bus into Malaga, goes every ten minutes and it's only €1.30! It's a lovely little town, and you'll enjoy your stay here!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pedregalejo

Jenny,

it should be noted that Pedregalejo is not a town at all, it is just a district in Málaga.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pedregalejo

Perfect part of Malaya as is El Palo. If you want to experience residential Malaga with great food and people watching. This is the place to go

8. Re: Pedregalejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 15, 2015