We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga car hire - topcars

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga car hire - topcars

I followed a link from the Malaga Airport website to a car hire company called Topcars, they are just off site but you get picked up and dropped back at the airport. The prices look good and they have an option that includes all insurance, extra driver and no fuel charge which is very competitive. Other sites' prices have looked good until you add the extras! Has anyone used them or is it too good to be true?

164 replies to this topic
Haddington, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

Needed car hire for our recent trip to the Costa del Sol but were put off by the small print of the majority of rental companies especially the extra for this and extra for that, credit card advances against insurance losses; so much so we started to look around fpr a better deal. We came across Top Car Malaga on Google and took their top package of £170 Euros for 9 days all in and no extras. Car came with a half tank of diesel and the policy of return it the same. We were upgraded to a Fiat Punto at no extra cost and although it was far from new, 31+ K on the clock, it was clean and the engine was as sweet as a nut. Only gripe was that the central locking could not be remotely operated due to the key being goosed. That proved to be no big deal. As promised when booking via email, the renter’s rep was at the airport on our arrival and we were soon whisked off to the depot to pick up the car. The paperwork was ready on arrival having emailed our driving licence particulars in advance and we were quickly on our way. On returning the car there was no inspection by the renter. Bags were packed into their mini bus and we were quickly transferred back to Malaga airport. All in all a good experience and we would definitely recommend them and will use them again when we return to Malaga in the autumn.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

I used it. It's true what it says. I am sure that I will use it on my next trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
63. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

I pre-booked via Topcars website the basic tariff and they quickly replied back that they're not going to provide me a car for the basic tariff, strange because they offering this service on the web?

So they obligate you to take the full insurance or you can bugger off..! (prob high season arrogance :-(

These companies are not car rental companies any more they are plain simple "rip off insurance brokers"

Be careful as they can be very arrogant to get their pennies!!

(also Malagacar is such a penny broker these days!)

Edited: 6:00 pm, July 03, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
492 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

I'm not sure why I feel inclined to reply but I had so many questions that I couldn't let it go. Did you get any information about the cost difference between the 'basic' and 'top' offerings? I recognize you say they wouldn't offer the basic plan, did they say why? What car rental company did you find that didn't try to steal your pennies? I assure you, we would all like to know of a company that is better than Topcars, so please share back with us. Also, how were you going to handle any of the items that are not covered in the Top plan if there was a problem?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

No, I did not get any reply back from so called > Top boys, writing independently with two staff members for offers, actually I made a booking but they refused basic rentals!

Also rented last March with Malagacar and had same ripe off experience as with all others, you pay easily €100,- bucks for 3 days or between +€800,- reserved on cc for basic cars. (min insurance €36,- + €20,- fuel)

Also charged me in pounds instead euros, they used to be ones a fair policy company you know!

If yr EU resident best to take your own car down there and you can actually stay a bit longer to.

Next I'll be taking the Avanzabus from the Airport to any place at the coast for peanuts only!!

(ps: for some buses this incl fast toll road short cut, a smooth ride is my experience :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
66. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

To get back to your question: 99.9% of car rentals on Spanish South Costa, but not only, are rip-off rentals because of the strangled insurance robbery they force on to clients, save yr any illusions.

That is their money scheme!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
492 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I had a very good experience with them but that was in the very off season (February). I did not have any experience with insurance prices in Europe as I had mostly rented cars in Mexico where the insurance add on to the basic rental price is over $50 per day. Also, not being from the EU, I didn't want to get stranded there trying to pay for accident damages. Again, Mexico will hold your passport until the finances are settled. A friend had to buy the car before he could leave. I can see where everything could be quite different if you are from an EU country so that probably clears it up for me.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

Its indeed an insurance matter and those are generally a rip off in Spain, also for people who live there permanent.

In any case an excess insurance everybody can easily buy off via many web offers, is more/less €50,- per whole year while with most of the Spanish car rentals is more than €100,- for a week!

But you can imagine that most car rental mobsters in Spain prick you a finger in the eye with some cheap excuse, most will put the excesses (+/- €1000,- euros) anyway on your credit card, their money scheme should not be interrupted!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
69. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

Excelente servicio. Todo muy claro y sin clausulas escondidas!

Alquilamos un coche pequeño durante 5 días en nuestra visita a Málaga en Junio de 2015.

Topcars (http://www.allincarhiremalaga.com) fue la compañía que nos daba mejor precio y seguridad en cuestión de seguro, facilidad de recogida del vehículo y devolución, segundo conductor incluido, depósito de gasolina (igual a la salida que a la devolución), etc.

El equipo de Topcars es servicial y conoce su trabajo, se nota su experiencia tratando con gente de todo el mundo. En la llegada al aeropuerto nos recogieron y rápidamente nos llevaron a las oficinas, y en menos de 20 minutos teníamos nuestro coche listo y pudimos comenzar nuestras vacaciones sin demora.

Lo recomendamos totalmente y volveremos a utilizar este servicio cuando volvamos a la ciudad, sin dudarlo!

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Malaga car hire - topcars

Absolutely recommend. Service -and car- impeccable.good pick up and English spoken. Understanding of wha tit' like to arrive in a strange place and need to be helped.

Thank you.

Jackie and Alice

Reply to: Malaga car hire - topcars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted