We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

Myself and my friend (in our mid 20s) will be spending one week in Andalusia at the end of May 2013. We intend to spend our final 3 days (Thur night-Sun morning) in Sevilla with a friend who will travel down to meet us from Extremadura. We cannot, however, decide on where to spend our first 3 days. Initially we were thinking 3 days in the centre of Malaga, then take the train up to Sevilla and back again to catch the flight home. However, when I was looking at how close my proposed hotel in Malaga would be to the beach I discovered (I think) that there are much nicer beaches at the Costa del Sol. Now I wonder if we should spend our first 3 days at the Costa del Sol (possibly Marbella), then take the bus up to Sevilla from there. We would like a variety of experiencing the culture and traditional aspects of Spain, but also fancy spending some time at a nice beach! Would also enjoy doing a little shopping, sight-seeing, just a variety of things. Is Malaga essentially a bigger, busier version of Sevilla? Would it be better variety for us to stay at the Costa del Sol then go to Sevilla? Is Marbella the nicest place for beaches, or could you recommend another area along the coast? Thanks in advance..

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

< Is Malaga essentially a bigger, busier version of Sevilla? >

No, Sevilla is a bigger, busier version of Malaga (with much more dramatic sights). A day-trip to nearby Córdoba from Sevilla is always worthwhile too.

I think your idea of having some beach-time before the trip to Sevilla is a good one - if you want good beaches near to Malaga then the ones in Torremolinos are excellent (Torre is completely different these days to how it used to be), and are convenient by local train for the airport and Malaga City.

Marbella is great for shopping, and has a lovely Old Town district - the beaches are OK but not marvellous but as you say you could then get the bus from there on up to Sevilla.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

lizzie:

Malaga is the transportation hub of the Costa del Sol. We have good beaches, plenty of museums, great restaurants and tapas bars, and the best shopping.

Marbella is a beautiful place, but much more expensive.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

lovely examples of why it is so much a mater of personal taste and opinion. I would have said that the sights of Malaga were more dramatic than those of Seville (love both cities) and although Malaga is a transport hub your idea of going from Marbella to Seville by bus is an excellent one as you go right through the Sierra de las Nieves so the journey itself becomes a great part of the holiday rather than a day to get through going from A to B. I don't think Marbella is much more expensive necessarily, it can be but there are lots of places where it is quite reasonable. It doesn't take long either to go to Estepona if you want big wide beaches as the ones in Marbella are OK but not that big. But how much beach does one person need!

Andalucia is so big (about the size of England) that you could finish up being totally bewildered by the choices available.

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. I believe Manzana has summed things up well. I think for a relatively short visit (6 days) we should try not to spend too much time travelling about but stick to a couple of places. We will spend the first 3 days at the coast (although undecided yet whether Marbella or Torremolinos). The bus to Sevilla from Marbella sounds a good option. I think I shall have to return on a later visit (possibly when I am a more confident driver) and spend more time exploring Andalusia.

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

We have booked our first 3 nights in Marbella and our last 3 nights in Sevilla! Next question regards the bus from Marbella to Sevilla. I have seen a timetable of the Portillo Avanza buses from Marbella to Sevilla but cannot seem to book the journey online. In the buy tickest section the site will not allow me to type in Sevilla as the 'destino.' Is this because you cannot buy tickest in advance? Should I just be buying the tickest when I get there? Help please! Below is a link the web-site I have been trying...

portillo.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

You don't need to buy in advance, just make sure you're at Marbella Bus Station about 30 mins beforehand, the queues at the ticket desks aren't particularly long but always seem to be manned by the winners of 'Slowest Employee of the Year, Andalucía Region' whenever I'm there.

Edited: 3:04 pm, April 08, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

Thank you! I was getting a bit stressed about this so appreciate your answer :)

8. Re: One week in Andalusia - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2014