We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marbella from malaga

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
marbella from malaga

Is marbella reachable by bus or train from malaga for a day trip? If so, what should we plan to make the most of a day in marbella?

cheshire, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marbella from malaga

If you are staying in the centre of Malaga the easiest way to get to Marbella is to take the train from Malaga centro to Fuengirola and then the bus ( I think it's the No19) to Marbella. You should put about 2 hours aside for travelling & don't forget that all the shops in Marbella close between 2 & 4 or 5.

The old town should be visited plus the lovely park right in the centre of town and the avenue with sculptures by Dali ( can't remember what it's called)

Personally, I like Fuengirola better, bit more "real" - some excellent shops ( much cheaper than Marbella) and easier for you to get to. Some great restaurants & tapas bars - try La Paz Garridos- on Avenida de Mijas for fish & if you want to try a lovely bodega - El Toston behind the bus station is worth a try.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marbella from malaga

There is another option. Train to Fuengirola, walk down to the harbour, then take the pleasure boat to Marbella (also goes on to Puerto Banus).

If you have sea salt in your veins, you can do the whole journey (Malaga-Fuengirola-Marbella) by boat.

PS There is a bar on board.

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marbella from malaga

Thank you both. Will probably go to Fuengirola on your recommendation. We wouldn't have thought about it before. Much obliged.

Any recommendations for restaurants etc in malaga itself?

We will be staying at the Atarazanas hotel first week in August.

Kent
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marbella from malaga

Just had a phone call from my daughter last night (on a school spanish exchange trip in Cordoba) - they had a day visit to Fuengirola - her main comment was "everyone and everything was english!" - she's 15 so she loved it anyway - the 3 S's - sand/sea/shops.

But I'm sure I'd go for Marbella - that boat trip sounds right up my street ! Thanks for that information I might check that out for a visit in the opposite direction when we are there in the summer.

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marbella from malaga

Can you give me more details on the boat from malaga to feungirola and marbella? I can't find anything on it like where it leaves, when and how long the trip is.

derby
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: marbella from malaga

Buses to the west of Malaga are run by Portillo, who now have a website with timetables on at

http://www.ctsa-portillo.com/horarios.html

Should answer most of your queries, but I don't know anything about boats.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: marbella from malaga

Hi Gilmorehill. The pleasure boats have been running for years, and sail daily from Malaga harbour to Benalmadena and back. In Benalmadena you jump ship (think it's to Costasol Cruceros) for Fuengirola, Marbella, Puerto Banus.

Not sure of all the timings, but know the Fuengirola-Marbella leg of the journey casts off at 10am, so you'd have to leave Malaga around 8am to be on it.

Sorry I am no greater help, but a visit to one of the tourist information bureaus in Malaga should reveal all.

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marbella from malaga

Thank you we'll do just that.

9. Re: marbella from malaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 13, 2009