We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speakers in Malaga?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
English speakers in Malaga?

…about.com/od/…malaga.htm

I was reading that article and came across this;

The Costa del Sol attracts a lot of British folk in search of a suntan, many of whom live permanently near Malaga. This means you will hear a lot of English in the streets - not ideal for learning Spanish.

Sounds like BS to me. Is that true or not? Would you reccommend Málaga as a place to learn Spanish?

Edited: 9:15 am, March 01, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Málaga City is a very popular place to learn Spanish, there are many language schools/summer schools etc. Málaga is a large Andalucian working city of over 600,000 people - whilst it has a British community it's not particularly large and certainly doesn't have much of an influence on the culture of the city.

Even along the coast in the more popular expat places (Marbella, Benalmádena Costa, Nerja all have around 35% non-Spanish populations) the original Andalucian culture tends to be dominant in most parts.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Malaga city is a brilliant place to learn Spanish! It is a bustling, vibrant, wonderful city with a very, very high level of native Spanish speaking inhabitants.

The article seems yet another mix up of Malaga City and Malaga Province (where the tourist resorts are). Even in the resorts Spanish is still by far the most spoken language.

Edited: 9:31 am, March 01, 2013
scotland
Level Contributor
16,803 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

I'd agree with both the above ,Malaga City would differ from the Costas in Malaga Province

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,689 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Alex:

That article is inaccurate. There is no large British colony in Malaga City. Most of the British stay on the western Costa del Sol. I live in Malaga and do not hear any English on the street at all, except from tourists who arrive on the cruise ships.

Malaga is a very good city to learn Spanish and the Malagueños are willing to talk to anyone who wants to practice their Spanish. Malaga gets more than 30,000 foreign students a year who study Spanish.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Thank you so much for the replies, I guess it's the same people who say that Southern Spain is 'full of Brits.'

Also, is the accent in Málaga difficult to understand?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,689 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Alex:

The accent in Malaga depends on the person talking. An uneducated person who grew up in a rural area will not have the ability to speak correct Spanish. We have a highly educated population in Malaga City, many who have studied in Madrid, and who will speak correctly. All the teachers will have the correct accent.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

I think that "uneducated" person speaking in local dialect is speaking everyday practical spanish. Surely more authentic than textbook spanish or english or any other language?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Every country has an "official" way of speaking the language but it doesn't mean that local dialects are wrong or that the people are less educated- far from it they add colour to it and in the UK some of the most intelligent people come from places where they have a strong dialect. Just adds to the colour of the language.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

Well indeed! If Benny means by 'correct' Spanish (Castilian) the equivalent of Received Pronunciation/Oxford English for speakers of English then that's the Scots, Northerners, Welsh, Irish and, er, Americans all doomed as incorrect for starters.

Colloquial Andalucian can be quite difficult to understand until you get an ear for it, but that doesn't mean the language schools teach Andalucian.

If I went to an English Language school in Leeds I might come out speaking English with a short 'a' but I doubt I'd come out speaking broad Yorkshire.

The 'real' Oxford English actually has quite a 'local-yokel' burr to it as well, and as someone who grew up in a rural village in Oxon somehow I seem to have acquired the ability to speak 'correct' English!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: English speakers in Malaga?

All I can say is never judge a book by it's accent!