We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
408 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Flying into Malaga, renting a van and driving around southern Spain for a week or so, ending trip with a few days in Madrid and flying back from there.

In reviewing prievious postings, MalagaCar.com seems highly recommended and is much cheaper than the companies I generally use but doesn't have one way rentals. We either need to drive a rental to Madrid and return it there, or return it to Malaga and use alternate transport from there to Madrid. Group of 6 with plenty of luggage.

Suggestions?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

The AVE fast train will get you to Madrid, as will Iberia airline. Otherwise price your car hire with a "national" provider that is likely to have rental desks in both cities. www.renfe.es for train times/costs.

Edited: 11:18 am, January 23, 2013
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Thanks. I had checked those options. Was hoping someone might have an idea I had overlooked. From a cost standpoint (considering the need for 6 plane or train tickets), my best option is to get the one way rental with the higher priced national agencies.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

You might get a lower cost by means of driving to Madrid, but it is certainly more comfortable and easy to leave the car in Málaga and get the AVE to Madrid.

We don't know when will this trip take place, but if you buy your train tickets well in advance you might get good discounts.

This is also true of flight tickets. Give a look to www.rumbo.es which is a Spanish online travel agent which usually gets good prices on domestic flights.

You can also get to Madrid by bus, by the way, but it is of course a much longer trip.

Edited: 2:58 am, January 24, 2013
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Thanks. I'll look at the rumbo.es site.

Going in late May/early June, by the way.

Edited: 8:43 am, January 24, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Hey, don't trust in one-way flight tickets as Iberia will rip you off on them. It's because of their ticketing policy which makes a one-way fare higher than return. I guess anyway your best shot is to drive to Madrid and moreover you'll have the advantage of visiting some spots on your way.

Cheers!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

We would like to pick up a rental car from Malaga airport and then return it at AVE for our return trip to Madrid - any suggestions on a car rental agency that has a desk at both locations (airport & AVE)?

thank you!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Check the prices carefully as returning elsewhere can be costly. The airport for pick up and return will be cheaper and you can just hop on the train back to Malaga. Its a 12 minute journey for under 2€ each running every 20mins.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

Car rental check www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Spain

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.andalucia.com

White villages www.andalucia.com/villages/home.htm

www.spain.info

Overland Park...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

I have the same scenario, so I am hoping we find a solution to the issue!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car, Malaga to Madrid

SJLucido13, this thread is now 1 year old and was due to be closed at the end of this month. It might be better to start a new thread.