We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Find below my 2012 recommended restaurants list.

All places with the exception of those included on the "top notch" category are medium priced (say 20-30 euros per person with wine, although this of course depends on how much food you order and/or how expensive that wine is!).

It is based solely on my personal experience (I have tried all these places), so many of you might not agree with my comments. Feel free to elaborate or comment on the list, this is all TA.com is about.

I hope you find it useful. Enjoy!

a) Modern tapas

Souvi (C/ Afligidos, 3). A top chef opened this tapas place not long ago. Try the vinegar marinated anchovies omelette, which as much more delicious than it sounds.

Alumbre (C/ Strachan, 11). Cuisine from Málaga with a creative twist. I eat here quite often. The moroccan style marinated sardines are wonderful.

El Tapeo de Cervantes (C/ Cárcer, 8). Hugely popular here in TA.com, it is truly good. Very small and somewhat uncomfortable, but worth a visit nonetheless. Reservations encouraged.

Gorki. (C/ Strachan, 6). An institution in Málaga. They have been serving the same stuff for 20 years with a huge success.

La Moraga de Antonio Martín (Plaza de la Malagueta, 4). It is based on a concept by Michelin starred chef of the Calima restaurant in Marbella Dani Garcia. Good location on La Malagueta beach.

b) Traditional tapas

Orellana (C/ Moreno Monroy, 3). The oldest tavern in Malaga. Greasy and run down, but unbeatable for traditional good Malagueña food.

Lo Güeno (Calle Marín García, 12). Similar to the one above. Small and cramped, but authentic and traditional.

El Trillo (Calle de Don Juan Díaz, 4). It is common to find tourists eating at the restaurant, but I much prefer to eat tapas on the counter.

La Rebaná (Calle Molina Lario, 4). They have been serving, among other delicacies, bread rolls of Spanish stew (cocido) for ages.

La Cosmopolita (Calle de José Denis Belgrano, 3). A long standing bar which has seen most of the 20th century go by on Calle Larios, now sadly substituted by a multinational clothing chain, it opened on a new location with a completely different concept, but they sill serve wonderful tapas of local specialities.

c) Fried fish and seafood

Preface: It should be a crime to come all the way to Málaga and not enjoying the local speciality, fried fish. Chiringuitos (seafood restaurants located right on the beach, or very near) are must visits for anyone who likes seafood.

La Reserva del Pastor (C/ Sánchez Pastor, 3). This place is run by a friend of mine who also owns three other restaurants in Málaga and La Carihuela. They serve the highest quality goods with an excellent cooking. Try also La Reserva XII in C/ La Bolsa and arguably the best seafood restaurant in town, El Envero (Calle de Luis Barahona de Soto, 6). It is quite far away from the centre but near the Museo Automovilísitco, which makes a good day out.

Gutiérrez Playa (Paseo Maritimo Antonio Banderas, 6). One of the best chiringuitos on the western promenade, which has been named Antonio Banderas promenade (with the same dose of local self esteem and bad taste I'd argue). The grilled sardines ("espetos" in Spanish) are to die for. There is another one with barely the same name a little bit nearer the city centre, but I prefer the original one which is located a little but further away in the west.

Pescadería Los Mellizos Arroyo de la Miel (C/ Pacharán, Arroyo de la Miel, Benalmádena). This is the only place I'm recommending outside Málaga but it is really worth a visit. It is a fish shop that also runs like a restaurant. They run two other restaurants in Málaga city centre (Los Mellizos Málaga) and La Carihuela (Casa Juan). One of the best.

Refectorium del Campanario (Paseo de la Sierra, 36). A bit off the beaten track but worth a visit for the fantastic food and views. Local traditional food. Try the "ensaladilla rusa". You won't regret the journey.

Contemporary other gastronomies

Most of our visitors prefer local fare, but in case someone doesn't like it or wants a change here are some of my favorite places in town

Asako (Calle Carretería, 96). One of the most popular Japanese restaurants in Málaga.

Osteria Pastrani (C/ Strachan, 7). The best Italian restaurant in town IMO. The Italian wine list is poor but the food is excellent. I love the Tagliatta di Manzo.

La Plaza (Plaza de la Merced, 18). Restaurant that, as a curiosity, is located near Picasso's birthplace. Owned by an English expat the food is delicious. I love this place.

Top Notch

Montana (Calle del Compás de la Victoria, 5). Haute cuisine in a traditional district of the centre of Málaga which is located on a beautiful mansion with hosts a great courtyard.

José Carlos García (Centro Comercial Muelle Uno). He has just recovered his first michelin star. It is located on the new developed port dock (Muelle Uno). It is a nice walk through Málaga park.

Med (Calle de las Mercedes, 12, Torremolinos). One of the best restaurants in Torremolinos with wonderful views.

Pre-dinner drinks

Pimpi (Calle Granada, 62). Although they also serve food, the best of this atmospheric place full of casks is having a sweet wine before heading somewhere else for lunch or dinner.

La Casa del Guardia (Alameda Principal, 18). Another institution. Waiters dressed in white and not in a very good mood (don't worry, they are the same with us locals) write your order down with chalk on the counter. A time travel to Málaga's first 20th century years.

Bodegas Quitapenas (Pasaje de Chinitas, 5). In addition to have one great name ("Sorrows Remover" would be a bad literal translation) they serve all kinds of wines from Málaga and good tapas.

La Campana (C/ Granada, 35). Popular with locals over the years. Typical wines and tapas.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,360 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Thanks MACPollo, I've saved this to use when we visit next year. Might be worth putting it in the top questions list so it can be easily found.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Excellent MAC! Thanks for the up-to-date personal recommendations, this is indeed the true value of the TA Forums.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Very informative Mac, Not busy at work today? LOL

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Yes, I am busy,,, just using my lunch break to post a bit here. It is so relaxing compared to my usual tasks.

I compliled this list to share it with some friends who were visiting the city and it was quite succesful, so here it is.

Thank you all for your compliments.

Barnsley
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Thanks so much for the info, we are both vegetarian, do most tapas bars in Malaga, Torremolinos, Pedregalejo provide vegi alternatives?

We are staying at the Barcelo in Malaga but don't want to necessarily eat there as we haven't the cash to flash and don't want 'traditional fayre'.

We got the Barcelo at a great rate from 22/12 to 29/12 but are a bit worried that we won't find anything open in Malaga due to the holiday period. We have been advised to go to Pedregalejo or Torremolinos for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Any advise on what to take to wear would be appreciated, jeans and jumpers?

Thanks all

West Midlands
Level Contributor
353 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Thanks for doing this I shall copy it and take it with me when we go on Sunday, can't wait.

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

And a big thankyou from me MACPollo - it will be going with us for our trip in January.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Great list MACPollo, some of the places listed we have tried, the others are now on our "to visit" list next time we have a few days in Malaga.

Barnsley
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Thanks so much for the info.

As we are in Malaga over Christmas Eve/Day we are hopeing that plenty of places will be open, it's my first ever Christmas away so really looking forward to it.

Thanks again

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tapas trail and restaurant recommendations

Great list MAC, many thanks, counting off the dates before we are back for the Semana Santa.