We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

Hi, can anybody help??

We need to hire a car to get to a family wedding in august but when I've just gone to sort it I found out you need a credit card for collection!!

Is there any companies who would take a debit card/cash as we haven't got a credit card? And do you know what kind of deposits they will take?

Thanks

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

Generally NO deposit if you take their "top up" insurance. Generally they like the Credit card swipe so they can take any traffic fines etc.

Could you not apply for a credit card before Aug? Or consider the "prepaid" card option.

Some will take a large cash deposit but the last i can remember seeing was 500€.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

When I in error took my debit rather then credit card to collect the car, after a lot of bartering they agreed to take I think it was 1800 euro deposit and kept my passport.

I was liable for all insurance costs as I provide my own insurance so this was the reason for large deposit, they were prepared to reduce the excess if I bought their insurance, no chance.

As Mantalk states better to try to have credit card, I returned to the airport same day, to recover my deposit and passport and provide a credit card.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

Ian, I'm surprised you allowed them to keep your passport even only overnight! My never leaves me at all, but then again I don't trust anyone these days! LOL!

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

I would definitely NOT leave my passport with anyone either - let alone a car hire company. Can you imagine the consequences if they "misplaced" it?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

A few years ago we flew into Malaga and on us we had debit cards and plenty of cash. My husband in his infinite wisdom had decided not to carry a credit card. I am sorry to say that although the car was pre-booked, no credit card equaled no car. He was most unhappy and of course it was all my fault. Typical!!! Our youngest son, the font of all knowledge, as teenagers are, pointed out that on the small print it clearly stated must have credit card and asked us if either of us had read the documents properly.

To this day I don't know why we didn't have a credit card with us because we had hired cars in Spain many times before and knew the routine. I think my husband was thinking that there would be no risk of going on a splurge if there was no credit card.

We ended up, us two and three teenagers along with assorted luggage, bussing it from the airport into Malaga city centre and from there to Almuñecar where the villa we had hired was up a great big hill and a couple of miles out of town. On the first night we found a taxi telephone number and hubby and 'smart teenager' went to McDonald's and brought dinner back for us. I would like to say at this point that McDonald's is not my usual fare at home never mind abroad but on that evening I was eternally grateful. The next morning was a Sunday and of course shops close at lunchtime, hubby and 'smart teenager' found their way down an extremely steep hill to the end of town where they discovered a small shop selling essentials and a nice bar. We ate at this bar on many occasions during the holiday.

The holiday was saved by the fact that we eventually, on day 4, managed to hire a car locally at the third car hire company we visited. They were extremely helpful in our plight and although they did not have a returns desk at the airport they arranged for a mini bus to take us back to Malaga at the end of our holiday.

The moral of this tale is never go abroad and expect to pick up a car without a credit card. I now have one issued by Santander which is kept specifically for car hire in Spain and nothing else. Please read my story with a laugh because that is how it is viewed by the family now, however, at the time it didn't look as if Mr Grumpy was going to smile all holiday.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

A very good tale Campsie, with some good advice. I've also got a holiday only credit card (in fact two - Nationwide and Halifax Clarity) and keep them in my holiday purse which is stowed away in my case ready for each year.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

Made me laugh too.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

CJ and HW, was my suggestion to the rental company. Having had a life time of giving up my passport in the old East Germany and Africa whilst your I D is checked and especially removed from you when you stay in a hotel until the authorities come round and check it, not unusual for me.

Once in Russia we did not get them returned until we arrived at the airport and they were at the check in desk, you did not argue you gave them up.

rotherham
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

i think malagarcar.com dont req one

rotherham
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire from malaga airport but I have no credit card!!

i think malagarcar.com dont req one