We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Story About Picasso

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,964 posts
3,813 reviews
A Story About Picasso

Everyone knows that Picasso was born in Malaga, in a house at one corner of the Plaza de la Merced. Here is a short story about Picasso.

Picasso was at a museum which was exhibiting his works. The lady next to him said to her companion that she did not understand the painting of Picasso that she was looking at and she laughed at it.

Picasso overheard her and asked her if she spoke Chinese. The woman said no. Picasso then told her that to understand Chinese, one had to study Chinese. If she wanted to understand his paintings, she would have to study art first.

Treasure Coast of...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: A Story About Picasso

Benny, isn't that the truth, that must be my problem, maybe l will fully understand someday. Hubie

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,964 posts
3,813 reviews
2. Re: A Story About Picasso

Hubie:

I have another story about Picasso.

Several years ago I went to Montreal with my wife. The first day we went to the Museum of Fine Arts and found that they had a special exhibition of “Picasso Erotique”. The exhibition was going only to Montreal and Paris. It was not going to the US because they thought there would be demonstrations against it and that the Americans were too puritanical to see it.

We were surprised to see that parents were bringing their young children with them to see the show. I thought it was going to be a show for adults only. I was very wrong.

Inside the museum, there was a cubist painting titled “Man and Woman”. There must have been about 50 people gathered around it, with everyone silent and studying the painting with intense interest. No one could tell what part of the painting was the man and what part was the woman! The least thing you could say about the exhibition was that it was erotic! No wonder children were allowed to see it.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: A Story About Picasso

puritanical?? oh my. I guess they didn't consider New York or L.A. or, gosh, San Francisco?? ah....

but, I recall some very "erotique" paintings in the Barcelona Picasso museum. and I viewed them by myself as my then 10 year old daughter and hubby were in another room. but I kept wondering if she understood what was going on in these paintings. I was glad she was in the other room for I surely didn't want to answer her questions!! :D

Treasure Coast of...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: A Story About Picasso

We were at a art show in Portugal about ten years ago and there was this broken bottle on this paiting, above the paiting was a ledge with different things on it, l thought the bottle fell off the ledge and broke on the painting. Was l wrong, it was all part of the painting. Talk about CLUELESS, l had no idea. Hubie

5. Re: A Story About Picasso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 28, 2013