We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Way Van Hire

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London/ Torremolinos
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Way Van Hire

I have returned a hire car from a company called 'one way van hire' based in Malaga and they are refusing to return my deposit, answer calls or return my emails.

Car was returned on date and with no damage and no reason to withhold my deposit.

If you are thinking of using them beware!

67 replies to this topic
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One Way Van Hire

Glad you got your money back Ed, its obvious that the company are dreadful and at least people will now know to avoid them.

Following on from Nurioopta's post I just wanted to say that not all first time posters come on with good intent. Some are deliberately trying to promote companies or deride others who may well be competition to them. Some new posters don't even say please or thank you when asking a question and that means that regular posters can become suspicious of some posts, depending on the way they are worded.

However, your comment that maybe Nurioopta doesn't have better things to do after 12,749 posts was unnecessary and actually a bit off to all other TA contributors, because those of us who do spend time on the forums answering questions, sometimes researching answers on google that the original poster could easily do themselves, do so because we enjoy being able to help and advise people about the areas we know. I for one have learned a lot since I joined TA (even about my own areas) and I hope that my posts are well received and that people get some good advice. Its great when someone posts back that they've had a good time because of what advice they've been given.

I'd like to think that all first time posters would be able to advise others on their experiences with companies etc and feel confident in doing so. I hope you will continue to post and enjoy using TA as well.

CJB ;)

London/ Torremolinos
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: One Way Van Hire

Lovely to hear you finally got your money back even though it sounded like a complete nightmare.

I have now come to terms with the fact my money will not be returned, my husband and I took a trip up there after Don my husband said that if he has to drive to the office to sort this out then you (Jeremy) will be very very sorry, on the morning we arrived at the 'office' of One Way Van Hire and as we pulled into the car park Jeremy must of seen us as the door of their office flew open and out ran Jeremy and off he went down the street as fast as his thieving little legs could carry him. I have to say it was worth loosing my deposit to see that sight.

As the other person said in their post we also would not recommend using these cowboys, yes they are cheaper but in the long run its not worth it as you may not get to your destination due to the terrible and probably illegal condition of the vehicles they hire out and the fact that you may not get your deposit and if you do your gonna have a fight on your hands.

Lou

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One Way Van Hire

I discovered this thread whilst looking for reviews or problems with people getting their money back from OWVH. I couldnt believe the comments as this is exactly the situation we are in. I have emailed and telephoned Jeremy several times and he has been trying to turn the situation around to make out that my emails are tying up his staff! The excuses have ranged from that to delays due to traffico not coming back to him quickly enough to advise whether or not we had any speeding fines outstanding for our journey, problems with Britanny Ferries strikes etc etc. Promising my deposit will be returned "eventually". When we picked up the van at Preston after travelling down from Scotland my hubby noticed the tax disc was out of date. When we phoned Jeremy he advised that he had paid it online but didnt have time to get it to us as we were travelling the next day to Spain. Do not use this company. You have been warned! After reading the above comments we are now handing over to our credit card company to pursue our deposit!

Helen

Malaga, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: One Way Van Hire

Deposits form Hire a Van from this company are usually returned within 4 to 5 weeks if there were no problems with the vans (This time is to clear any possible speedding fines, etc) . Sometimes the vans are returned with damages and even if they are minor it takes time for the company to investigate how they happened and who is responsible for them. This could make the return of deposits to take longer or not been made at all when the customer is liable for the damages or fines due to traffic offences.

This is absolutely understandable and probably the reason why there aren't more post in the forum.

Aberdeen
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: One Way Van Hire

I have been meaning to post this for a few months, and after reading some of the other reviews on this forum which almost exactly echo our own experience using One Way Van Hire, here goes.

We booked a van from this company to travel from Aberdeen to the south of France in January this year, and the whole experience was nightmarish.

Firstly, prior to our collection of the van, it was put into a local garage for "new wheel bearings" as Jeremy Griffiths put it, which turned out to be that plus a new prop shaft.

The upshot was that instead of us collecting the van on the Wednesday afternoon as promised, we were unable to collect it until the Friday evening.

When we did go to collect it, we were shocked at the apalling condition of the van. It was a real banger, dirty and smelly in the cab, had a broken driver's side mirror plus other minor problems and right from the moment we started driving it, it made an awful "squeaking" sound from one of the front wheels, which had us on edge for the whole journey. Beacuse of the delay in getting the van, we lost a hotel booking we had made and also had to amend our pre-booked ferry crossing, which Mr Griffths assured us he would stand good for.

We eventually reached our destination, and breathed a huge sigh of relief firstly, that we had made it and secondly, that we wouldn't have to sit any longer in that awful van again.

We returned the van a few days later to the place requested in exactly the same condtion as when hired, and expected the deposit to be returned within 4-5 weeks as started in our contract. After numerous e-mails and phone calls from me, the deposit was finally returned to us 14 weeks later, with no sign of the reimbursement of our hotel and ferry amendment costs, as had been previously promised.

I would never dream of using this company ever again, and would never recommend to anyone that they should use them.

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: One Way Van Hire

My advice is do not use this company! After hiring a van to return to UK with a dog, the van caught fire at a petrol station in Spain. Jeremy was absolutely useless and asked that we actually waited overnight (or longer) and then drive the van back to his office. When we refused, he organised a miniscule car as a substitute which then had to be driven 5 hours in order to pick up a "suitable" people carrier. The people carrier leaked oil and needed topping up every 80kms, bits were hanging off etc etc. Having been extremely delayed and out of pocket through the excess expenses of overnights stays, oil, round trips for car hire pick ups and exchanges the only deposit we managed to recover was that paid on credit card (via credit card company). The excess expense was, of course forgotten by Jeremy as he blamed up for not returning the car on time after the trip (despite him not having returned my possessions which had to be abandoned in the frazzled van somewhere deep in Spain). The upside is that my dog actually made the journey back which she probably wouldn't have done if it been made entirely in his fume filled, overheated van. I shudder to think he advertises pet taxis. I really hope he gets inspected by the authorities

Edited: 9:58 am, November 07, 2012
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: One Way Van Hire

I think I saw a newspaper report on this company the other day! Here's the link:

theolivepress.es/spain-news/…

Makes interesting reading.

Edited: 10:30 am, November 07, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: One Way Van Hire

Totally right! I talked too soon! Four months later and no deposit returned, just empty promises.

I have been in touch with my family lawyers and after reviewing the contract it looks like I have a case. So I have given him an ultimatum and we'll see how it goes from here.

Really unfortunate though because everything could have been so very different... and Jeremy actually sounded like a decent bloke...

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: One Way Van Hire

Hope you get a good result Henry.

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: One Way Van Hire

Jeremy G, whilst I accept that things take time - the weight of evidence is against you just by reading the comments from folk you have diddled out of their hard earned cash. . How you sleep in your bed at night I will never know. As an addendum to my story above I would add that the only reason I received our deposit back was through the Credit card company. According to Jeremy when I informed him I was passing the details to my credit card company, he was then unable to pay back my deposit as the credit card company would insist it went back onto my card and he was unable to do this???? Yet another excuse methinks? I do hope what goes around comes around. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY OR YOU WILL AT THE VERY LEAST HAVE A FIGHT ON YOUR HANDS FOR YOUR DEPOSIT! As I said in my earlier posting. You have been warned. PS I would add that at no time did we speed nor did we cause any damage at all to the Van.

Macki62000

Edited: 4:17 am, November 25, 2012
Reply to: One Way Van Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted