We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from barcelona to malaga

Tecumseh, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train from barcelona to malaga

Can anyone tell mehow scenic the train ride from Barcelona to Malaga is.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,241 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

If you take the daytime AVE then you do see a vast amount of Spain in a very short time plus the train is comfortable and fares reasonable compared with alternatives. You leave from down town Barcelona Sants station and arrive down town Malaga station.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

drantrip:

The trip is quite scenic and you will enjoy it.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

wow, I didn't even know there was a train between Malaga and Barcelona! I am making a mental note for future travels. good to know!

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

so am curious if this is a new AVE line or did I just not look into this option when we were there last May(over a year ago)? if there's an AVE between Barcelona and Malaga, am thinking there's also one to Valencia too, yes? I'm gonna go check that now because we dropped our planned to see Valencia due to how hard it was to get there by train. that would be fabulous!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

There are direct AVE trains now, bypassing Madrid. The stretch between Córdoba and Málaga is exciting but I'm afraid most of the Spanish plain is repetitive.

If you get a good deal in advance, or don't like flying, then it's good, but Vueling and others offer very good rates for what is a very short flight.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,241 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

tobyo99 - the new fast line ( 1 hr 35 mins) was opened between Madrid and Valencia . See

renfe.com/EN/…plano_madval.html

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

thanks Cadiz_lover, I knew about that one. I was wondering about Malaga to Valencia but I attempted it at renfe.com and it doesn't exist. perhaps some day?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

Málaga to Valencia direct?

You must be joking!

The whole AVE project is designed to get Madrileños to the seaside as quickly as possible, whether for their holidays or business.

As a result most of the peninsula is now available to us near Málaga relatively quickly...as long as we go to Madrid.

Even France and Portugal may soon be involved, which will be interesting, but however fast the trains are...we'll still be standing in a queue in a bank whilst they say 'please wait, I have to ask Madrid'.

It keeps the country together now the memories of the World Cup fade!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

Portugal has suspended the Madrid to Lisbon AVE line for lack of money.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from barcelona to malaga

well, maybe some day there will be a Malaga to Valencia line. I will continue to hope!