We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
532 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar

I booked a car rental for our trip to Malaga with Goldcar--they were by far cheaper than others. However upon coming across this review website I am quite worried...

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews236975.html

ALL very negative reviews. Should I cancel my booking and pay the virtually 3x extra or what?

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
1,015 replies to this topic
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar

We flew to Madred a few years back, rented a car for 3 weeks, never had a problem. We went with one of the top 5. Yes might of got a better deal with a unknown, but why take a chance. I think, go with the GUT fealing, and stick with it. We fueled up before we handed it in. Gas is alwas higher with them then on the outside, even in the states. Have fun

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar

I have used Goldcar many times in the past and never had a problem. The trouble with reviews is that the thousands of us that get reasonable/average service rarely mention it. But the few who get poor sevice write a review.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
11 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar

We were in Malaga two weeks ago and hired a car from Goldcar. We were so robbed! We had to pay for 80 euros of diesel, also on a Citroen C4. The next day we had a puncture. There was no spare tyre so a tow truck had to recover the car. We were charged 260 euros. We were given another Citroen C4. Then we were caught by volcano ash and it cost us 30 euros for one day extension.

When we got home, we found out that Goldcar has charged our credit card, without our agreement, on diesel for the replacement car of 129 euros and 80 euros for the replacement car. That replacement car was charged by Europa Rent a Car which was not a company we dealt with. All in all, the car hire with Goldcar cost us 579 euros.

STAY WELL AWAY FROM GOLDCAR.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar

I agree with the negative reviews- I've used Goldcar for the last three years, because they used to be the cheapest. However, at Malaga, they've now just gone too far with the hidden charges. I just paid over 180 Euros for a four-day rental, when my reservation email told me it would cost 82.

First, they insist that you buy the petrol from them at more than double the normal price (we had to pay them 70 euros for a tank that usually costs 32-35 to fill), refusing to allow you to opt to return the car full (at Malaga- at Jerez they're a bit more pleasant). This also means that you have to buy an entire tank at this price, when in a four-day rental, you're unlikely to use all that petrol- so they then get their own petrol back for free, but charge the next renter for a whole tank again. They also insisted that I buy their insurance add-on, on the grounds that I was paying by debit card. When another member of our party offered to pay using their credit card, we were told that that would cost us the same price as the insurance (30 euros for 4 days) anyway. I wouldn't mind so much if their policy didn't seem to change every time I go.

Our car, when we got it, had cigarette burns all over the seats and no handle to open the boot. Their employee behind the desk was rude, unpleasant and unhelpful, and the queue to pick up the car was an hour long. I would recommend using one of the other companies- they look more expensive when you reserve but they are less likely to rip you off.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Jerez
Jerez
213 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Bruxelles
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar

I have just emailed them to ask for a refund after my trip to Fuerteventura. If anyone is interested just write me at plaintaste@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar

Not a good idea to post your email address, Andrew.

Edited: 5:09 pm, January 10, 2011
Bruxelles
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar

We are all entitled to our own opinions, Mantalk.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar

Fine, but you are leaving yourself wide open to loads of junk, spam and the odd idiot on here who likes to abuse people. Better to ask people to PM you.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar

Have used them without problem in the past, in fact have found them very helpful and have changed a car during rental from manual to auto without hassle and cost was minimal.

The charges they have for fuel and "optional" insurance are higher than some companies but not all. The problem is they charge you for fuel at the most expensive place the airport and they make a charge of 15 euros for doing so....is it a scam? Yes it could be looked at that way......

I have just booked a car for 3 days next week and cost me £22.40 for 3 days, they are not making much money on the rental are they? They need to make it somehow so they charge more for other things....it is in essence "marketing" having the lowest prices and then hiking the extras but it is done in many industries....god you see a flight for £30 but it costs you £74 to get on the plane with booking fee, baggage fee, check in fee, taxes etc etc Try buying a sofa from DFS, SCS, CSL etc without getting hammered for all kinds of extras taking a £499 sofa to £700 that is life........I used to work for one years ago, the average price of a sofa was £560 the average price if a sofa SOLD was £650

Ok so everyone boycotts Goldcar and go somewhere else that is cheap and find the same problem....

It is swings and roundabouts i'm afraid.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar

Just returned from holiday in Malaga.

BE WARNED - whatever way you look at it, Goldcar WILL rip you off.

Take my advise, use a well known carhire name and pay the extra. Take away the hassle and worry.

I was charged €80 for a tank of fuel and used less than €20 worth. No refund. You have been warned and have only yourself to blame if you use Goldcar.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Reply to: Goldcar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted