We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,291 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Topic
High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

The service of the high speed Ave train from Madrid to Malaga will start on Dec. 23 and there will be 11 trains a day going in each direction. This is good news for travelers because the ride will take only 2.5 hours each way. There will now be a choice between the plane and the train.

This news is reported today in the newspaper ADN.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Also the Ave train starts from Madrid to Barcelona on Dec 21. So you will be able to travel from Malaga to Barcelona in only 6 hours (including 1 hour stop in Madrid). Price is estimated at €140 each way (€70 for each part of journey).

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,290 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

This will also mean that you can ride on a fast train from Malaga to Cordoba ! The published single fare from Malaga to Madrid is said to be €70 single which is only €10 above the existing fare. And the train takes you into the centre of Madrid not far from the PRADO !

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

I am thrilled with all of this good train news!

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

We took the high speed Ave from Sevilla to Madrid last June. I've never enjoyed a trip more in my life. I'm very excited about all the opportunities to take the Ave now. I'll be back in Spain at my earliest opportunity!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Spain
Spain
Europe
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

What is the web site regarding the high speed Ave train? I will be traveling from London to Malaga and was considering trains and this would be perfect. I want to go to Barcelona and stay a bit and then off to Malaga. Thanks in advance for your help

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,290 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Spanish Rail is : www.renfe.es Normally you do not see timings and prices on this site more than about 3 months in advance so if you are looking for travel in 2008 then should try again later. Am not sure if the new fast service is even published yet.

RENFE 's booking agent in US is http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

Also occasionally it is interesting to consult the Man in Seat 61 ! http://www.seat61.com

Mentioned in this post
RENFE
RENFE
315 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Also it is interesting:

spanish-rail.co.uk/trains/avetalgo200.html

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,291 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

There was a news report yesterday that many people now doubt that the AVE to Malaga will be completed on time. It seems that one of the tunnels from Antequera to Malaga is leaking water and this may take a long time to fix. So everyone should hold his horses while we see what happens.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Antequera
Antequera
Costa del Sol, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,290 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Prime Minister Zapatero made a surprise visit to Barcelona yesterday (Sunday) to look at the AVE construction and to face criticism about the interruption to local train services caused by holes & subsidences. It appears that there will also be delays in getting the Madrid-Barcelona AVE open in time. According to one local newspaper report: Zapatero took responsibility for errors in the management of the works, undertook to provide a solution, but gave no dates or when it will restore the local train service or the arrival of AVE.

Perhaps it is now time for the PM to visit the tunnels in Andalucia?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Madrid
Madrid
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,291 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Speed Ave Train from Madrid to Malaga

Last night on the TV channel Telecinco, the news announcer said that the TV station had talked to experts about the AVE to Barcelona from Madrid and the experts say that it will take another year to complete it. There are many problems with the unstable ground around Barcelona, where huge holes suddenly appear.

This is turning out to be a political issue because the present government wants to claim the AVE as one of its accomplishments for the forthcoming March elections.

TV last night also showed protestors in Barcelona, people who live beside the AVE route. It seems that all of the construction has caused many deep cracks in the high buildings, due to the vibrations caused by the construction. They are afraid that their buildings may collapse. If any building has serious problems, this will cause another delay in the AVE. It sure looks like a mess!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Madrid
Madrid