We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,750 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Topic
A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Yesterday morning my wife and I took a long walk along the Malagueta Beach. The sun was out and there was a slight breeze. There were many people at the beach, but since this beach is very long, no place was really crowded. I noticed that the price of sun beds is now 5 euros. We must have walked about a kilometer.

Later we walked towards the Farola lighthouse. We saw that the Chiringuito La Farola had a new building. The last time we had been here was about 2 years ago. The new building is quite beautiful and the views of the beach are very good. So we decided to have lunch here.

We ordered the tomate al ajillo, bacalao, rosada frita and the pulpo a la gallega. This pulpo a la gallega was very good and is the best we have tried in Malaga. With drinks our total bill was 42 euros. The service was very good and attentive.

This restaurant is the restaurant at the end of the paseo maritimo. From here you can see the large cruise ships.

13 replies to this topic
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Thanks Benny. On all our day trips into Malaga we haven't ventured to the beach yet but maybe this year!

England
Level Contributor
6,928 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Glad you enjoyed it.

Malaguenos are lucky to have such a facility.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Hi Benny, Nice one

Do you even go west side around 'Banderas', and the Chiringuitos along there?

I always enjoy relaxed walk from the port - sometimes stopping off quickly at Pedro's - to Maria's, I would be interested to know how they compare in your opinion. I do like Malagueta but find it less attractive, les relaxing.

Stoofer

scotland
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

I preferred the old original La Farola

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,750 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Here are other beaches of Malaga:

https:/…malaga-city-beach-guide

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
748 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Thanks Benny, really useful beach link. I've saved it, not back until December but great for planning coastal walks and long lunches.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

When I read about Malaga's beaches I wonder why they cannot get Blue Flag status like many others on this coast. The nearest beach to the south west is approaching Torremolinos and on other side of Malaga you need to go to near Rincon de la Victoria.The qualifying beaches can be found on

http://www.banderaazul.org/

Malagueta beach has imported sand.

I mention this because there are amazing Blue Flag beaches in Spain and I wouldn't want tourists to get the impression that Malaga's beaches are among the best.

The comparison between Malagas' beaches and those at Cadiz for example are worth noting. Cadiz has golden sands and Blue Flag status and in my opinion is the best of any southern city. For eating you have well spaced Chiringuitos and many sunbeds with shade. A paseo walk takes one for a long way following the beaches.

Before deciding on a beach city or destination it seems to me important to research. Of course if not wishing to swim or spend time sunbathing and just enjoying restaurants then Malaga has plenty of those.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

Cadiz_lover - totally agree. Cadiz has everything you could want and more (with a stunning beach with proper sand right on its doorstep). You get an amazing feeling of space on the Atlantic coast which is totally missing on the Med. You really need a car if you want to visit the other beautiful towns nearby but historic Cadiz itself is walkable. 2 cities with lots to offer but Cadiz wins hands down for beaches.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

'When I read about Malaga's beaches I wonder why they cannot get Blue Flag status like many others on this coast.'

Well it's not many IMO, hardly anything to be proud about, over 80 miles of beaches, blue flag represents just a small minority and is, IMO, a flawed system of measure anyway.

I gave up trying to give some facts on sea pollution on these CDS forums, people cannot see past Nerja and it's the flogging horse for a dirty coastline for obvious reasons but it's a pity there is never any balance, context or reality as to wider issues. Easy enough to research.

But past all that, I agree if you want a city with a beach to use fully Cadiz would be far better.

Malaga and the CDS has much to offer and I enjoy them but for me it's never been about swimming in the sea or even using the beaches, they are just ok. Families much prefer the resorts around Malaga or so it seems, the Benalmadena 'kids activities' is one of the main topics on forum. 'Entertainment' Its not something we ever looked for with young family but many do and I think for those families they may find Cadiz a bit isolating..

In the same way CL advises not the best beaches in Malaga so better elsewhere in Spain, we could equally advise far better beaches in other parts of Europe. It's all question of what you want from a visit, Malaga is a great city to visit IMO and whilst not sunbathing or swimming I love walking their beaches and using the chiringuitos, it's a cultural experience as much as anything, for me anyway.

Stoofer

Edited: 11:12 am, June 15, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,750 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach

What city in Spain has something like Muelle Uno?

Reply to: A Relaxing Walk Along the Malagueta Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted