We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja vs Estepona

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja vs Estepona

Hi would like some information on Estepona if anyone can help would be really appreciated.

Have been going to Nerja for 5 years and love the town of Nerja especially round the balcon De Europe.

Would like a change this year,and was thinking of Estepona.

Is Estepona like a town like Nerja where there is plenty of shops,restaurants,and everthing in walking distance from hotels?

Any 4 star hotels recommendend with nice pool?

And how far is Estepona from malaga airport in private cab?

Ireland
Level Contributor
166 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

I stayed in Estepona before discovering nerja - would think both are about the same distance from malaga. Nerja tops Estepona - no cockroaches. Always remember our first day in beautiful square and bit by bit we noticed the cockroches climbing hte trees, flying over our heads when out eating. Unreal it was. We stayed for 3 weeks enjoyed it bar the cockroches. Nothing like that in Nerja. Nerja does not have the nice easy accesible beaches of Estepona but tops it in every other way.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

Never seen cockroaches flying around anywhere I've been on the CDS.

Nerja is a lovely town but it has its issues as does every other town on the CDS but we nearly always have a day trip there when we are on the coast. I wouldn't say Estepona itself is a picturesque as Nerja but we've stayed outside of Estepona near the village of Cancelada and the beaches are really good.

You could get the airport bus to Marbella and then the bus or cab on from there which would be cheaper than getting a taxi from the airport.

We stayed at Villacana Resort which is a MacDonald's Hotels resort just outside Estepona. We always hire a car so we were able to get around and see a lot of the area. Would you consider hiring a car - it could be cheaper than getting the taxi to and from the airport and getting around the area.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

I too have never seen flying cockroaches, but to say Nerja doesn't have them is not true. You may not have experienced them, in which case you were VERY lucky - however it does also depend what time of year you go.

Cockroaches will be drawn to many things, but primarily warmth so most places where there is a concentration of restaurants/food houses and heat combined with poor sewage systems are hedonistic places for these bugs :)

They are more prevalent in the Canary Islands for some reason, maybe the humidity - but not quite so bad in Southern Spain, however as i say, in the summer months it's very rare not to have ever seen one.

I would ask questions on both forums asking for plus points and negative points in relation to what kinds of things you want to do whilst on holiday - only then can you make in informed decision - the question is too open and vague as it stands :0

Hope that helps.

CB

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

I think I've only seen 1 cockroach on the CDS all the time I've been going but in our apartment in Teneriffe last year we had 3 huge ones (about 2" from tail to tip") coming up in the bathroom over a period of a couple of days and that was all.

Agree with CB that it would help to know more about what you are looking for from a holiday to help you better.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

We visited Estepona for the first time last March and were impressed.

The old town, although smaller than the older area of Nerja, retains a similar Spanish feel and the beaches were better. The Marina area was very pleasant and something you don´t get in Nerja.

I think you would find both resorts have a similar appeal.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

Thank You for all your replies,will have to think about this one.

was just looking for a nice hotel with shops restaurants all within walking distance,as i would be afraid to drive abroad.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

You could always try somewhere closer to the airport, like La Carihuela, train to Torremolinos from the airport and then taxi to resort. Its small, has lots of great bars and restaurants and you can walk along the paseo to either Benalmadena or Torremolinos. Transport links to other places along the coast are good and you can jump on the train to Malaga City for some amazing culture and architure, not to mention great restaurants and tapas bars.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

Thank You,will have a look at La Carihuela.

wales
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

Hola

Thinking of a holiday in Estepona this year and won't be put off by the insects or vermin that inhabit the area at least you can see them and move on but what about the mossies that bite and you never catch sight of them do you!!

We visit Nerja alot and never had a problem with cockroaches but they must be around somewhere. Have seen them in Benalmadena and have also seen rats and mice on a rocky area of the beach in Malaga and they were around an area where people were sunbathing.

Once in Ibiza we went to a lovely beach and after a swim we decided to have a drink and food at the cafe on the beach but on seeing the rats climbing up the trees and mice looking in the waste bin we made a hasty exit on the next boat out.

We arrived home once to find that after 6 weeks away mice had moved in and visited every room in our house, I spent the time vacumning up the droppings instead of unpacking!!

Pleased to hear that Estepona has had a bit of a makeover look forward to a trip there sometime this year and will continue with more reading up on the area.

Paddy don't be put off just go for it and we love Carihuela.

10. Re: Nerja vs Estepona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2014