We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Owners Direct

Which Estepona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Owners Direct

We recently booked a villa in Lanzarote through Owners Direct. On arriving the villa was not as advertised, including dirty linen, holes in towels, damp beds, no electricity upstairs and the final straw was mice in the villa. We eventually moved accommodation. Just be careful as Owners Direct are not liable in these circumstances and will not accept responsibility of the state of the accommodation. I just don't understand how they can let people advertise these properties and do nothing about it. I guess money talks !!!!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Owners Direct

I think the problem is that they are only "advertising" the properties and not endorsing them and they are not a regulated holiday company. By contacting owners through this sort of website you are dealing direct with the owners and Owners Direct are just the intermediaries.

However, if enough people complain I would think they would remove bad owners from their list.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Owners Direct

Holidaylettings.co.uk is part of Tripadviser. I have never had cause to take anything up with them but I would expect it to be one up on other sites who wash their hands of the matter

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
41 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Owners Direct

Hi there,

Unfortunately the other posters are correct. It is a case of "buyer beware" as they are advertising rather than advising or recommending properties.

I rent properties myself and make every effort to speak to all potential guests to find out what they want from there holiday. I work hard for my holidays and I assume others do too so I don't want a poor holiday on my conscience!

I'd suggest that you not be put off by 1 poor experience. Ring the owner a couple of times before booking and ask questions. Trust me, we don't mind as if we get happy guests, they tend to come back, which is good news for all.

Ps. holidayrentals is also a good website to look through.

4. Re: Owners Direct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 15, 2012
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Owners Direct

Well malagacoastrentals comment is as near to advertising as you can get!!

As loftyO says there many responsible owners and responsible sites on the net. In two blocks where we have a flat the agency responsible charges more than private owners, at times 50% more, and the flats I have seen are not as good as the ones where the owner has face to face contact with the guest and takes a pride in his property.

I have stayed in some really good flats which are privately owned with excellent facilities like wifi and A/C not available elsewhere in the block. look at the comments from previous guests, everything helps.

As a further indication in one block where we have a flat owners get a flat amount per year for the flat regardless of occupancy. This is a disincentive to do anything because if you own the best flat it will be the one the agent uses all the time and it won't stay the best for long.

If it seems a minefield it sometimes is!

Edited: 10:15 am, March 15, 2012
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Owners Direct

In my second to last paragraph I should have said 'owners who let through the agency get a flat amount...'

7. Re: Owners Direct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, March 19, 2013