We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I rented a property via the owners direct website, mar azul in Salobrena, Spain. There were various things not right upon arrival and we complained. They were sorted out but caused some upheaval. Upon return home we got an email from the owner claiming we had damaged various things, including a bed, and left the place in a right state. We had done none of the things he accused us of but wil not return our security deposit of £350.

I am totally at a loss by his behaviour but just wanted to let people know if a large deposit is requested for just 1 week don't go but hire somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I assume that Owners Direct are a reputable company - have you tried contacting them directly with your concerns?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,989 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

Halfwayers, Owners direct , holiday lettings, holidayrentals, pureholidays etc act as an advertising medium only. They dont take any commission, verify the owner, or indeed, have any input at all to your holiday. Therefore are unlikely to be of any assistance in cases like this.

If the advertiser had loads of complaints against them going in to Owners Direct, they may then strike them off their listings, but there is no real chance of any recompense from OD.

Emma did you book by credit card at all? If so involve the card issuer. I rent an apartment and take deposit of £125 or €, refundable when keys are returned to me (by post). Whilst I do offer people the option to book & pay by C Card, so far, no one has chosen to do so. (fifth summer renting).

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

<If the advertiser had loads of complaints against them going in to Owners Direct, they may then strike them off their listings>

Exactly. Therefore perhaps involve them however/if (?) possible? May at least help others if not the op on this occasion.

We only know one side but this sort of thing seems to be coming up more & more now.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

Owners direct are just an advertising site. They clearly state that it is up to the hirer to check things out and that the contract is between the hirer and the property owner.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I could only pay by direct bank transfer. I suppose not every individual renting out property has the facility to receive payment by credit card otherwise I would have done so.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I looked at the owners direct web page to post a comment directly to them about this behaviour but could not see anything.

Ofcourse it is only my side of the story but believe you me I did all they wanted, i.e clean the floors a bit all the time so they would not be dirty, put out all rubbish as requested and put all bedlinen near the front door. The only thing we did not do was put back all outside furniture to its original place but the cleaners arrived early and started outside so...We did not damage a thing but were accused of braking a bed?? and a jug which they felt was worth £350.

I just wanted to warn other people to think carefully when a large deposit is requested i.e more than 10% of the price per week as it reeks of greedyness and deceitfullness. The cleaners just stated a whole lot of untruths to the owner who was only to happy to believe them and withold the whole deposit. Makes you wonder.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I had also booked with “owners direct website” for a property last Jan/Feb, and was more than pleased with the service. So don’t judge all the apartment owners as being the same. My deposit was returned on time etc

I was so pleased with the apartment I have re-booked again to go in Sep/Oct

Please see my report on my website at

http://djmp.co.uk/malaga1/acc.htm

Kind regards

DAVE Bristol UK

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I had also booked through owners direct before and was more than happy. My point is not the owners direct part but the actual villa I rented and the disproportionally high deposit. I since read that 10% of the weekly price is the norm with a minimum of £100 per week. So £350 was very high for 1 week but at the time I just thought that I would get it back provided I adhered to the rules and did not break anything. I did and did not break anything but came up against what I can only refer to as lies. We sent a letter and spoke to the owner who said he would have a word with the cleaners and ring us back but I have not heard anything yet and this was some 10 days ago!

Spain
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

I would suggest asking the owners for photographic evidence. I don't know what was supposed to be wrong with the bed but to charge for breakage to a jug is outrageous. This should come under wear and tear!

I would contact Owners Direct, directly via their contact form on the site. They won't be able to do anything as your contract is with the owner, but if they get a number of complaints may remove the listing.

Depending on the villa, £350 is not a lot for a deposit. I charge £500 damage deposit for mine. I would never consider witholding money for minor damage but if for instance someone broke a glass next to the pool, I would have to drain and refill the pool. This would cost me a lot more than £500 and in that instance I would charge.

There is a site called Your Holiday Matters where the owners are vetted and verified by quite a stringent procedure to ensure they are "Owners who care". Booking a villa through this (Small but growing site) would ensure that you would not have this kind of problem.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: withholding of £350 security holiday deposit.

thanks Dawn, that is helpfull info.