We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Caledonia Golf Resort

Which Estepona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Snr
UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Caledonia Golf Resort

Can anyone tell me if they have stayed here or heard any reports about this hotel? Is it good quality? Are the clientelle mixed - not all golfers but a good mix of customers? Are the hotel staff family friendly? Is it expensive to eat/drink in the hotel? Is Estepona Town accessed easily? Would you need a hire car for the entire stay?

Thanks.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Caledonia Golf Resort

Cheap and cheerful: I stayed in this reasonably priced and very clean hotel in May 2005 while on a 3 day business trip. Anyone staying here will need either a car or a few taxis as the location is nowhere near Estepona or Marbella but smack between the two. Allow 10 - 15 minutes to get to either town. I chose this hotel to get away from the crowds but that proved difficult as the hotel's special offer upon its recent opening had led to dozens of Spaniards staying there on a cheap, all inclusive, weekend break. For some reason my room rate was considerably higher. As usual, getting a double bed in Spanish hotels proved no easier here and in fact they only had 2 or 3 rooms where the double bed WASN'T made up of two singles. WHY do Spanish hotels insist on not having real double mattresses?? On day 2, however, a suite with a real double bed became available and they were happy to move me. The rooms are in fact small apartments with a living area, bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette, so there is plenty of space. The balconies also have a table and chairs plus a little clothes rack for drying wet clothes. My room's position on the third floor allowed for a great sea view which is always nice to have. When I requested an iron I was made to return to my room to get 5��������� from my wallet to hand over as a deposit. A STUPID rule imposed by unthinking staff who had already swiped my credit card when I checked in. Were they so in need of 5���������? The defective iron then leaked all over my suit and the staff on the front desk just shrugged their shoulders when I complained. Clearly these people are not gifted at solving problems, nor are they trained to any extent in customer service. The main bar is huge, well stocked, comfortable, inexpensive and run by very friendly staff BUT in the evenings it often turns into a waking nightmare for people who like to sing "I will survive" into a karaoke microphone and in a manner that suggests they are screaming in pain, so be warned. The hotel's acoustics are also dreadful and one can hear the reception area and main bar from the third floor rooms, the people outside around the pool (through closed windows) and also the viciously amorous couples in adjacent rooms, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Breakfast is quite nice and served in a large, bright room opposite the main bar. There are less parking spaces than there are rooms so remember also to use your imagination when parking. All in all this hotel is new, clean, spacious and has a good pool and bar but its staff, soundproofing, parking and quality of beds are no more than one would expect for such cheap rates.