We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi

I am thinking about booking a ground floor holiday apartment at the Siesta II complex in Calahonda.

There will be my husband and I and our 2 son's age 14 and 21. We would like somewhere that is quiet at night but where you can walk to nice restaurants etc.

We do not want to hire a car and would like to be able to visit Mijas, Benalmadena, Marbella, Fuengirola. Aquapark and Tivoli world.

Does anyone know what this complex is like and is the public transport from there suitable for our needs.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi Bigsis. Lots of restaurants to walk to at night to Calahonda, so no worries there. The bus to Marbella is half-hourly and picks up at the entrance to Calahonda. Again, no worries.

The Fuengirola bus is also half-hourly, and from where it stops (finally), it is simple to pick up the service to Mijas. It leaves from the same rank.

Tivoli World? Simple again. Where the Marbella-Fuengirola bus stops at Fuengirola, the train station is just 80 yards or so away.

If you take it to Benalmadena/Arroyo de la Miel (confusingly, the one and the same station - Arroyo being top of the hill and Benalmadena at the bottom) you are just a six-minute walk away from Tivoli.

When you exit the station, look back and you'll see the cable cars snaking up towards the mountain. Make your way to the cable cars and you have made your way to Tivoli.

That's got Marbella, Mijas, Benalamadena (just walk down the hill, remembering to stop at the magnificent Paloma Park), out of the way.

Now the pesky one. The Aqua Park. There are two to consider, one in Fuengirola, the other just outside Torremolinos. I have survived the "kamikaze" ride on both, losing my swimming trunks on the Fuengirola one. So I guess it is the fastest!

Getting there is not all that easy from the centre of Fuengirola, even though Parque Aquatic Mijas run a free bus from the town centre. I leave you with this link to its website, and although the fact it is Spanish may disappoint, the ability to print out an on-line discount coupon may make up for that!

Enoy Calahonda. Be aware that the wonderful Sinbad's Restaurant (on the beach) at Marbesa (sic) is just a six-minute cab ride away. Unmissable!

PS I guess the Siesta complex is near the golf course, as in overlooking it perhaps. A lovely spot. The bar at Siesta golf welcomes non-members. Might be a night place for a "promenade" at night.

Hope this helps. Tony.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Sorry, forgot that link, but have now found one in English.

www.aquamijas.com/plantillas/index.php…

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Thank you so much for all your excellent information.

I have M.E. and often find I cannot manage to walk too far and find climbing stairs and walking uphill particularly difficult.

Could you tell me if the area we are planning to stay in may cause me some difficulties, as someone has told my son that it is very hilly and there are lots of steps to climb in Calahonda.

I understand that there is a bus that runs hourly from very near the apartments to a large supermarket. Then there is a costal bus that runs half hourly along to Fuengirola etc.

I read somewhere that the buses don't run on a weekend and go off at 4pm. Do you know if this is true?

I am very grateful for any advice that you can give me.

Regards

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi Bigsis. Calahonda's a massive complex, arguably the biggest on the Costa del Sol, and now stretches all the way back to the toll road in the hills.

Getting to many of the apartments and bungalows there will involve a "hike" but I read that La Siesta 2 block is "located at the lower end of Calahonda", and the lower the better as far as you are concerned.

When you talk about the bus stopping at 4pm, and being unavailale at weekends, I take it you mean the internal service in Calahonda?

If so, I have no knowledge of when it runs, sorry. Perhaps others might help.

But if you are meaning the Fuengirola-Marbella bus that passes Calahonda, it runs until much later, certainly beyond 10.30pm.

travel-library.com/apartments/europe/spain/c…

North West
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi Big Sis,

Myself and my husband and my 18 month old boy are going to La Siesta 2 in Sept. I chose Calahonda as I have an old school friend that lives over there, plus it wasn,t far to take our son who has never flown before.

My friend has assured me that the apartments are not high up in the hills and that there are plenty of restaurants to walk to at night with the pram.

If you would like any other questions answering you can ask me and I will ask her on your behalf and let you know the answers.

Regards

london
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi justwondering if you enjoyed your stay at the apartments as am thinking of booking for next year. My husband. me and three children.Any tips greatly received.

North West
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Hi Babydue12,

We did enjoy our holiday and our aprtment was great (had everything for kids) but it was quite hilly and there wasn't many places to walk. You definately need a car. The beach at Calahonda is very small and is not great.

We have just been to Los Alcazares in Murcia this June and that was much better to be honest, very child friendly.

Regards

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Siesta II complex Calahonda

Try Club Calahonda. It has a club house with entertainment 6 nights per week and 2 pools - one quiet and one for the young ones. Within walking distance of the El Zoco complex with bars etc and the Dona Lola complex. You will love it!

Get answers to your questions about Calahonda